Rear brakes on 03 Jetta TDI

I hope someone can advise me with regard to putting new brake shoes on the Jetta. I have removed the caliper on one side, removed the old shoes and have been trying to move the caliper cylinder back clockwise to permit clearance for installing the new shoes. As I have said, I have been turning the cylinder clockwise and it does not recede back into the caliper housing. I know that I should not use a C clamp on this as I would damage the caliper. Do I have to bleed the caliper? I had opened up the reservoir to permit the fluid to back up in the system but there has been no change there. I would appreciate any help or advise I can get. I have changed many a brake shoe in the past on other cars, but I am stumped on this one.

Reply to
AJW

I used a tool from AutoZone that made the job a piece of cake. It compresses as you screw in the adjuster. Just remember to pump the breaks back up before you drive it after reassembly. Good Luck!

Reply to
lobo

You are right. This should be a piece of cake but I have Murphy (Murphy's Law) working against me. I did buy that tool from AutoZone and am using it. I believe the problem is in the automatic adjusting portion of the caliper as I cannot "thread" the piston down into the caliper to allow room for the brake pads. Is it possible that the brake fluid is fighting me or is the emergency brake in the equation? I appreciate your helping me. Thank you.

Reply to
AJW

If you bought the tool that fits on the end of your ratchet extension, then that will not work (at least it never did for me). Since you were at AutoZone, they should have a tool for compressing and turning the piston that you can use with a deposit for return. The tool has a number of pieces and make sure they explain to you how it works and which end will fit the piston. This causes pressure and turns the piston (clockwise) to retract it back into the caliper. If your master cylinder is full, I would remove a little to keep from making a mess when the fluid level rises with the compressing of the piston. Leave the lid off while you do this. On another note, while you are at AutoZone, spring for a Haynes repair manual for your model of car if you do not have one. While not the best manual, it will help you. Hopefully this will help you with your efforts. Let us know your results.

Reply to
lobo

When I did the rear brakes on my 99.5 jetta tdi I found the pistons had totally come unscrewed off the adjuster screw (or whatever it's called). With that in mind try threading it back on as you gently shove on it.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

To Lobo and Jo Bo, Thanks Guys for the advice. I really appreciate your help. Lobo - Your advice regarding going to Autozone did the trick for me. It was a piece of cake and I thank you for your advice. Jo Bo - You called it correctly when you stated that the piston could come 'unscrewed'. And I thank you for your advice. Now I'm ready for those famous Western New York blizzards!!!!!

Reply to
AJW

Reply to
lobo