What Does Yellow Warning Light Mean?

We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not an owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

Reply to
Jetta Owner 2003

Do you mean the glow plug light?

Reply to
Johann Koenig

On my '82 and '85 diesels, a blinking glow plug light indicated water in the separator. Of course, its standard function is to indicate when the glow plugs are on. It should go out after a delay, or as soon as you start cranking the engine.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

If it comes on when you turn the car on when it is below 40º F it is the glow plug light and it is trying to tell you to leave the ignition on, but don't turn it any further until the light goes out, then turn it the rest of the way to activate the starter. It indicates the glow plugs are being powered up and warming up to help start your engine. It usually takes a few seconds to 30 seconds depending on how old your cars is and how cold it is. I think the max for your engine is about 15 seconds.

Flashing is another problem. It likely looks like some hot coiled wires.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On the older ones, that meant it's time to drain the water out of your water separator.

Reply to
Brian Running

Does it look like this?

( O )