FREELANDER REAR BRAKES STICKING

My 2001MY Freelander has a nastly little habit when parked with the handbrake on after heavy rain/pressure washing. The rear brake shoes appear to stick to the drums, and a little rocking backwards and forwards is required the next morning to free them off (with a loud clonk!) If I park the vehicle dry, it never happens.

I've stripped everything out, and cleaned/freed off everything that moves, but it persists. I've had shoes stick to drums before on vehicles, but only when parked up for months - this is just overnight.

It's almost as though there's a metallic content in the linings which rusts and adheres to the drum surface... but I'm not suggesting that that IS the case, because why? In all other respects the brakes and handbrake work fine.

I COULD leave the handbrake off, of course... but that's not my normal habit, and I don't want to start it. Anyone any thoughts on this?

GRAME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Sounds like the handbrake cable is sticking, or the handbrake mech on the trailing shoe is seizing behind the shoe. If you have free movement on the shoe arm, then it points to the handbrake cable. Is it both sides that stick on? Check the handbrake cable outer, you'll probably find somewhere that it has cracked and is full of crap.

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

Nigel --

Well, I considered the cable of course, but when I had the brakes stripped down (so it's not the adjusters or linkage at the backplate) the cable seemed to be working freely, although that WAS on a dry day. I WILL re-investigate what you suggest, but my gut feeling is that it lies in the shoes themselves somehow.

BTW, it can be on either or both sides of the car.

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Strange indeed, are you still on the original Landrover shoes?

It maybe worth power washing the car, then remove the drums and check for water ingress. My Freelander is the same age and the only time I've noticed any water in the drums is when wadding. You still have the inspection covers on the backplate?

Take spam out of the address and email me off line.

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

Found a/the problem -- when I took it for its 60K service yesterday, the garage noticed that the lining was coming unstuck from a shoe on both sides. Now, I don't know whether or not that was CAUSING the problem, or as a result of the problem. Either way, the shoes (which still had a lot of meat on them, and which I had consequently 'passed as fit' on a quick inspection) have been replaced, and I'll see if there's any improvement.

To respond to the previous posting, the inspection bungs are still in place, and there's no sign that it's the cable that's sticking. Original shoes? I don't know, having bought the car at 54K miles, but knowing how slowly Freelander shoes are reckoned to wear, they probably were.

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

|| Found a/the problem -- when I took it for its 60K service yesterday, || the garage noticed that the lining was coming unstuck from a shoe on || both sides. Now, I don't know whether or not that was CAUSING the || problem, or as a result of the problem. Either way, the shoes (which || still had a lot of meat on them, and which I had consequently 'passed || as fit' on a quick inspection) have been replaced, and I'll see if || there's any improvement. || || To respond to the previous posting, the inspection bungs are still in || place, and there's no sign that it's the cable that's sticking. || Original shoes? I don't know, having bought the car at 54K miles, || but knowing how slowly Freelander shoes are reckoned to wear, they || probably were. || || GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

I had the same problem with new shoes I bought for my S2a a couple of months ago - twice round the block, no braking, took the drums off and part of the linings had parted from the shoe and shredded themselves. That's the first time it's happened to me (or even heard of it) in 30+ years of driving. Coincidence?

Reply to
Richard Brookman