Rebuild question?

Anyone ever rebuild a 1.8 8V engine before? What kind of $$$ is associated with doing so.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

An issue of European Car ran an article on a writer with a late model Golf with a 1.8l engine. He went with a 2.0l engine IIRC. Cost depends upon how radical one gets with rebuild.

Factory parts should be reasonable. You might check with local VW parts counter and see if there is a 'rebuild' kit consisting of say new pistons (oversized of course requiring a overbore of the cylinders in the cylinder block), matching rings, new bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, and any fasteners like main bearing bolts, rod end bolts, possibly new piston pins.

Then you need to price a head job.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Mustangbrad wrote:

Reply to
Marc Warden

I just have, and I spent about $C450 for machine shop work (cheaper than most but they were good) plus about $C400 for a TT cam, gaskets, valve shims, bolts, used throttle body, engine paint, cleaners, etc., etc. Plus a ton of my own labour to match port, modify the intake, dis- and re-assemble, etc. Got all my parts from either TT or

The biggest technical problem was getting the head gasket to seal tightly. Actually, taking out the A/C was harder than anything later. My advice? Go with the later hydraulic head if you still have a choice. my 2c, H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

So say a g note should give me what I want. Cool, I will probably rebuild a

1.8 with some race components, probably a bit more than a gnote.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

I should add that I did not touch the bottom end, although I may swap in a different oil pump eventually. I also did not include the complete TT exhaust system. New pistons, etc. can run into big bucks, and anyway, there's not a lot of room for expansion in the 1.8L. IMHO better to start with a bigger engine or go with a swap, such as the Audi 2.0L block, which will provide instant gratification. H2Only

Reply to
H2Only