Remove 16V Scirocco skirts

While junk yard crawling last weekend for a new turn signal housing for my

16V Scirocco I found a Scirocco with what look like newly applied skirts/air-dams/flares/whatever you call them.

Those on mine are pretty banged up.

Can anyone tell me how to remove these without damaging them?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Bill, it's tricky but recent experience tells me...

  1. Do it on a hot/warm day - the adhesive is more pliable, and the arches will bend better when levered off
  2. Start at a low corner of each section and gently prise enough away to grip with the fingers
  3. There's really no mileage in carrying on prying with a flat tool - pulling gently a few mm at a time is best
  4. The kit will bend out of shape - fortunately it will bend back, especially when restuck

I managed to damage the top of an arch by bending away too aggressively (I lost my temper) - though nothing that some plastic filler and paint wouldn't fix.

Best of luck...

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete

"DocDelete" wrote

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, buy the time I returned to the bone yard someone had mangled the front and rear ones pretty well, apparently taking the exhaust system (a performance job) out of the car.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary