Well, if you can't laugh, what can you do . . . . .

Eventful week this week for me, car-wise. Sunday night I end up working (wish I'd said no to it, which I could have done, but anyhoo, I'll get on with it). Going from Slough to Oxford, and going quick-ish (around 85 or so, getting up towards 90) and the overheating light comes on. "Shit", I think. Hazards on, pull over to the hard shoulder, and in the process of stopping it's gone off. Pop up the bonnet, and slowly take the coolant cap off, no hissing of coolant under pressure, looks all ok, I get on with journey. Next time it happens I just ease off the throttle, get down to about 70, and it goes off. Make an effort on the return journey to definitely drive no faster than 65-70 max (had to anyway as it happens as the fuel light had come on), and it all seemed fine. In the next few days I think it came on once, when I was going up a hill, doing about 70, but letting off the throttle made the light go off again. Knowing I had to be gentle with it, I was nice to it, and especially careful on uphill stretches. From then on, though, I was pretty much on London runs all the time (which I prefer). The cooling fan was coming on loads, but the overheating light never came on. At one point I popped off the grille at a time when the fan was on, and the rad was cold. Worrying. I didn't worry too much based on the fact that it hadn't overheated in all this London traffic, and there was obviously a sticking thermostat (or maybe something else) but I'd get it sorted at the weekend as it hadn't *actually* given me a problem. Then Wednesday night, heading out of town (to the West) on the Embankment road, the overheating light came on. I pulled over AQAP, popped up the bonnet, and slowly loosened the coolant cap, to be greeted by lots of thick brown crap boiling over. "Shit", I think. Leave it for a few minutes, check the oil, and that's still clean, not mayonnaise like or anything. I wondered if the engine would still run, and it started up and ran fine. Got it a few minutes up the road and the light comes on again. This time leave it for ages to cool down properly and get all the way up to the BP garage just before the Hammersmith Flyover before the light comes on. Call RAC, am advised that I only have the basic membership that only entitles me to a tow up to 10 miles, try to blag it that I was told 50, doesn't work, call my mate out who tows me home.

The next day, I take the good old reliable Carlton into town. As expected, it gets rather hot in town, but turning the heater on full blast stops the needle from going much above the 3/4 mark, even though it does make me sweat my bollocks off sitting in the car. Gets me out of a hole, but I can't help thinking that I'd much rather be in an air-conditioned automatic car, as using the clutch twenty times a minute does tend to wear one's shoes down (lucky I got them cheap, eh!). Hold on a minute, I say, I've got an Omega Elite. Take that into town the next day. Problem solved. In on the M4/A312/A40 to Park Royal, over to Ikea at Brent Park, then around the NCR to Hanger Lane (crawling for the last half mile) and along the A40 to the A3220 (crawling again) - but it doesn't bother me, as I'm in a relaxing climate-controlled automatic. Along the A3220, down to Fulham, a couple of drops in Fulham, and crawling again up to Hammersmith. Couple of hours in Hammersmith, then out to Uxbridge and on to Slough. All going swimmingly. Then over to Henley, back to Slough, then over to Reading and back to Slough, via Bracknell. Then pick up another few late jobs into London (leaving Slough at about 5pm) - one for Victoria Station (dropped off at

5:40pm) and another one for the City (dropped off at 6pm), and then onto Ilford (get there at 6:30pm) to pick up something for Putney. Fuel very low at Ilford, fill up at the Esso garage by the A12/A406 roundabout, and also buy oil and top up (as I checked it earlier and it was on the minimum mark).

Before I top up the oil I check it again (engine's been stopped for about 10 mintues by now, so a fairly reliable reading) - yep it's at the minimum mark. Fully aware of the risks of overfilling it, I put about a quarter of the litre bottle (10W/40 for turbo diesels - checked the viscosity rating with the car's handbook) - that brought it up to about a third way between min and max, so chucked a reasonable amount more in - that got it to about

2/3rds of the way between min and max. That'll do fine, methinks. Drive away. Reset trip computer, and go down the new-ish A12 (cruise set at 50, 38mpg average down that bit, but don't worry it was down to 24mpg before long!), down past Docklands (Aspen Way/Limehouse Link), along to Tower Bridge, cut through Southwark and Lambeth, out onto the Embankment (lights out at one of the junctions here, causing queuing, helped to bring the economy down a fair bit!), then through Fulham, out onto Putney Bridge, and over to Putney - exactly an hour from Ilford to Putney, so a bloody good run in and out of town. Delivered the package, then head out through Barnes out to the A316, and out towards the M3.

Going over the flyover at Sunbury Cross (start of the M3), and it starts to make worrying noises and lose power. No hard shoulder on the flyover, and the slip-road's joining - luckily it's clear, enabling me to go over to the hard shoulder of the slip-road. I turn the engine off, then attempte to start it again, lots of rattling, but it revs up ok, so the timing is fine (chain is obviously still intact). Loads of smoke coming from the engine bay. I'm thinking that there's an oil seal buggered and it's burning off oil left right and centre. Looking under the car it's certainly lost shit loads of oil. Anyway, I call my mate to tow me back (2nd car I've f***ed in

3 days, we're both in hysterics at this point) and we get it back home. The next day another mate of mine looks at it in daylight and the massive amounts of smoke are still happening, and that's with a cold engine, so that's not oil burning off from anywhere. He reckons there's something buggered about the exhaust manifold (a crack or something), or maybe the turbo's f***ed. We check the oil, and it's *above* the maximum. WTF???????? When I topped up the oil it was *definitely* just below max after I'd topped it up. Is there any way that the turbo could store any oil, and if a seal or something popped then this could cause the oil level to go up?? Maybe I'm picking at straws here, but either I completely cocked up topping up the oil (and I swear blind that I didn't) or all of a sudden an amount of oil equal to just below the max mark on the dipstick was equal to amount just above the max mark plus a whole load of oil all over the hard shoulder on the M3 sliproad at Sunbury.

Anyway, I did what I swore I'd never do and took the Fiesta into the Ford dealer to do the head gasket (and whatever else needs doing) - they said £500 for the head gasket job (6 hours labour plus parts) - eeeeekkk. They're going to replace the cambelt as a matter of course when doing the head gasket job as they don't like to retension old belts, and considering it was due a cambelt anyway, that's effectively best part of £200 off the price IYSWIM.

The Omega? Well, ebay here we come.

I was getting a bit fed up of the Carlton, but jumping into it after having towed home the Omega I suddenly loved it again (and it wasn't just to do with the fact that it was the only one of my cars that still goes properly!). Also, yesterday we towed the Omega down to the local jet-wash with the Carlton - would have made a great photo opportunity, an Omega Estate being towed by a Carlton Estate.

And there was me thinking I'd be the lucky one if I sold my Carlton for just a few hundred less than the Omega cost me. Whoever bought the Carlton would be laughing from the other side of the fence now!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Just a thought re your overheating Carlton. Carltons and Senators used to be renowned for overheating, particularly when towing.

I used to have a Senator and towed a caravan with it. I had similar problems which were cured by fitting a new radiator. The Caravan Club had looked into this problem and concluded that this problem was caused by too weak an antifreeze solution which caused corrosion inside the radiator. Apparently there was no such problem if the antifreeze was kept at a reasonable strength or if there was no antifreeze.

When I had my problem, the Senator was four years old and had covered about

100k miles. I kept the antifreeze at 33% after fitting the new radiator. The car lasted another 10 years and had over 250k miles on the clock when tin worm finished it off. The radiator still worked well and I had no further overheating problems.
Reply to
Howard Neil

Just 33%...... last time I did a coolant change I reckon I was running on 90% coolant ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Jesus Peter! How do you do it? Not that I'm moaning, as it's just given me the usual "at least some other poor bastard has it worse" feeling. So that's a dead Omega, sick Fiesta and a poorly Carlton. Mate, you've not had a good year either have you. Hope your luck improves, JB

PS: try to keep away from Ebay eh?. You just don't buy cars (sight-unseen) from there.

Reply to
JB

Well to be honest, the Carlton's pretty healthy, just the usual not desperately good cooling system. Crap battery as well. And I've only had that battery two years (bought it for my first Carlton). Might take it into Halfords and say I only bought it a few months back. It worked with a 1 hour old solid towbar that I blatantly wrecked through stupidity, and they handed over a new one following a bullshit story. They're gullible like that. And probably don't have the brains to read this group, so my guess is that I'm fairly safe!

Nope. To be completely honest (if a little morbid) the last year or two have probably been an all time low for my life as a whole. The Omega and the Fiesta buggering up are just a very small insignificant part of it, and almost not worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things - just thought I'd give the guys on the newsgroup a laugh! Still, I suppose things can only get better.

It'd better do.

If I was to buy a car from ebay again (only one I've bought off there so far was that TD Carlton, which died in a remarkably similar way to the TD Omega - even had to veer across a motorway sliproad onto its hard shoulder to find a safe spot to break down), I'd definitely go and look at it first before bidding.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

covered about

running

If you mean a 90% ratio of ethylene glycol antifreeze to 10% water then the cooling efficiency of the system will be significantly compromised. The convention is to use a 50/50 solution with anything from 33% up to 50% being acceptable in the UK.

Standard Ethylene Glycol has altered from what it was around 15 years ago and the current 'British Standard' calls for much improved levels of corrosion inhibitor compared to the previous standard.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Is there a reason for this?

I mean, I didn't do it on purpose, it was just that I misjudged how much to use (not having a manual handy but it did seem to solve the overheating problems I'd been having.

Reply to
SteveH

anything

AFAIK it is not as efficient at heat transfer compared to water or the correct ratio of water to antifreeze. Your experience would seem to run counter to the convention.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) mumbled:

Reason why it's less effective or reason why 50/50 is common?

It's less effective 'cos the Specific Heat Capacity of water (the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a given amount of substance by a given amount) is vast compared to anything else useable. There are substances with higher SHCs, but they're things like hydrogen which ain't ideal for use in cars.

50/50 is common 'cos it's a reasonable trade off between SHC and freezing (mushing really) point.
Reply to
Guy King

Didn't buy it then? :-)

Well here was me thinking of selling the Carlton for about £800 or so, and effectively 'upgrading' to the Omega for just a few hundred extra. If I had, whoever ended up with the Carlton would be the one laughing from the other side of the fence now! Would have been much easier to sell it privately for that sort of money than hope for a part-ex price more than about £300.

Yeah. Real shame, as it was a lovely car to drive. Ok, so crap on fuel, but whether I'd be using the Carlton or the Omega for work, either is going to use roughly double the amount of fuel as the Fiesta, so the difference between the two really isn't all that great. The Omega averaged about 25mpg the day I used it, and the Carlton did close on 28mpg. That's for 90% stop start (well, mainly stop) London traffic, 5% moving city traffic, and 5% motorway journey in and out of town. But for the few mpg less in the Omega, I got a much smoother ride, an auto box (a real joy in town, and really calmed my driving down), and a climate controlled cabin, rather than having to pump out hot air at full blast to keep the engine at a reasonable temperature.

And FWIW, when I had the hot air on full blast in the Carlton today the temperature barely went above the half-way mark (it did get up to about 3/4 of the way up, but that was when I had cold air on), so I don't think there's all that much wrong with the cooling system, relative to how not particularly great they are anyway.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan
[ big snip ]

I don't know why you think the Carlton cooling system is not good. I've had 2 Carltons and never had any problems with cooling. The gauge never went above half-way,even in summer. I towed a caravan once with no cooling problem. I towed a car-trailer with a Nissan Micra on it and even when slogging up hills it never reached boiling.

If the car has a viscous fan then they eventually stop working properly. Something to do with the oil leaking out of the coupling. To test whether or not the fan is functioning properly you need a carrott. Yes! A carrott. When the engine is hot and you're parked,keep it running and stick the end of the carrott into the fan's blades. If the fan stops rotating,the viscous coupling is knackered. If the fan demolishes the carrott then the coupling has locked-up as it's supoosed to do. Needles to say,mind your fingers.

If the fan functions properly,is the radiator gunged up?

I have a Carlton GSi 3000 and because the viscous fan wasn't working properely,I removed it altogether. There is an auxiallry leccy fan on this car,but it only cut in twice and that was in crawling traffic at the height of summer.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Berry

Heh! I'll have to give that one a try - I actually replaced the viscous fan a few months back with one off another car I bought for spares, that had had a new OEM viscous fan fitted, so in theory that one is an almost brand new £110 one from Vauxhall.

Possibly a bit - I've actually got a brand new rad for it (from JB's old Carlton) so if I fitted that then that'd save flushing out the current one!

A friend of mine's got a GSI3000 and has done the same - he says it's overcooled anyway and really doesn't need it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan