How to unscrew fuel pump housing ring from gas tank?

Got my new fuel pump in but unscrewing the plasic ring that holds the assembly is a pain. Any tool suggestions or a way to remove it would be appreciated. Tried my hands and its too tight, bought one of those flexi rubber wrenches and I cant get enough leverage or the handle of the wrench won't extend into the cavity.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reply to
stim141

I'm assuming your have an A3 (93-99) car. I made a "U" shaped tool out of a heavy piece of aluminum. It was an aluminum angle that I hacksawed to make a straight "strap." I bent (hammered...it was tempered aluminum) it into a U shape and then I drilled a hole in the top and filed it square so that I could use a ratchet handle to turn it. It worked ok but scratched the ring a little.

There was a post from someone about the same time I did my fuel pump who said he used a pair of giant channel lock pliers, ie a pair that could open up to the 5.5 inches (more or less) required. I'm assuming that he used them with the jaws pointed straight down like a spanner wrench. If I had it to do over again, I'd go this route, trying to borrow some from the maintenance guys here at work.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

dull wide blade screw diver and hammer.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I shudder to think what might happen if that hammer / screwdriver combo would cause a spark.

Reply to
Papa

It's a plastic tank and plastic locking ring and I use a hard rubber hammer. And... I'm good at what I do!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I agree, tried it but it didn't work for me - wouldn't budge. You would have to be a complete spaz or have Parkinson's Disease to miss the ring and strike the body. I guess if you wanted to be extra careful you could wrap the tip of the screwdriver with electrical tape. For my problem I guess I'm going to have to find a channel lock thats big enough to remove it - or carefully put a cut in the ring to pry it off and buy a new one (last resort).

Thought the rubber band wrench would did it and it would probably work if the damn ring wasn't so deep in the hole. Can't get enough leverage on the tool to grip it. 15 minute job taking way too long! Just praying that the thing will start once the new pump is installed.

Reply to
stim141

I'm sure you are, but somebody reading your other post, which said nothing about a hard rubber hammer, is apt to try it with a metal hammer against the metal handle of a screwdriver. Safety should always be the watchword, whether you do yourself or when you tell someone else how to do it.

Reply to
Papa

Use a large pair of ChannelLocks. It's trivial to get it off with them. Sears sells a pair, its either their largest pair or second largest, but it works great.

Reply to
nothanks

By the way, the Bentley manual - if that's what you're using - leaves out a critical step in the removal procedure for the fuel pump. You have to rotate it counterclockwise (I think) to unlock it from the bottom of the tank. It's a kind of bayonet lock. There are three or four tabs on the base of the pump.

Reply to
William Maslin

I just replaced my transfer pump. A couple of guys at the parts store suggested I should use a screwdriver placed against a rib and tap with a hammer. My screwdrivers have plastic handles plus I also used a rubber dead blow hammer, so the risk of a spark was pretty minimal. That worked for me, tapping on different ribs. But I noticed I needed to hit reasonably hard with the hammer. But the ring did eventually move.

Somebody else in this newsgroup previously suggested using one of the large size oil filter removers, the kind that fits over the end of the oil filter.

For tightening, the part store fellow suggested hand tighten, then give it a tap with the hammer screwdriver so the cap turns another eighth of an inch on the circumference.

Reply to
tonyw

Yeah I found out the hard way today. Couldn't figure out what was holding the assembly in and I noticed three rubber clips that hold the pump to the basket assembly. Pried them out and it still was a pain. Wish I knew in advance how to remove the outer assembly - it would have made life much easier. Unfortunately the pump that was sent from German Recyling was the WRONG one! Didn't have the rubber tabs on the sides only two nibs at the front - think it was from a Passat. They are taking care of the switch - but in the meantime my car isn't running.

Since the pump is out I try to twist the outer assembly off so installation will be easier - you think it counterclockwise? I'll give it a try. Even with a huge Channel Locks it was pretty hard to unscrew - almost couldnt get a bite on the ring. Simple job is taking way too long!

Reply to
stim141

I use the large channel lock pliers and position them perpendicular to the plastic ring. Works easy and well but if it is still resistant I could probably use a large screwdriver inserted inside of the jaws to help turn the jaws of the pliers. On the tanks that have the metal bayonets (Fox?) I use a VW main bearing cap with it's bolts and that screwdriver to turn it. I fear hitting a screwdriver with a hammer anywhere near a gas tank. 8^o And I have been warned about using lights near the gas tanks too! lol

Reply to
One out of many daves