86 A1 Cabriolet Idel Problem

Got a 86 Cabriolet, by passed the Heater core , now the car only idles at

3000 rpm.. any suggestions? did I bump anything?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

How do you adjust the idel on this sucker? anyone have any pics or how-to?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Looks like when I squeeze the hose connected to the Auxiliary Air Valve the Idle goes back where it should... so is this a bad Auxiliary Air Valve?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

To try and answer all of your post.

The Idle is adjusted by a bolt on the BACK of the throttle-body. When you back the bolt out it lets more air by-pass the throttle-body and Idle goes up.

The Auxiliary Air Valve also by-passes the throttle-body when the car is cold it should be wide open as the car heats up it closes. It should behave as you describe when cold if you still get the idle to drop by squeezing when the car is hot...congrats you have found your problem.

When you bypassed the heater core did you maintain coolant flow by the temp sensor on the heater hose? When the engine is cold the sensor disconnects the O2 sensor and the result is a richer fuel mixture when the coolant heats up the temp sensor put the O2 sensor into the CIS computer circuit and the O2 sensor with the computer controls the fuel mixture.

Reply to
sehaare

Hello and thanks for reading. What my friend did was cut the house at the Firewall then looped it back in the motor. I think it's. How ever where it loops back it's a little kink in it so I don't think the fluid is circulating back into the engine. My freind seems to think it does not matter since there is no heather core at this point? could be wrong tho... I will crimp that house today when the car is hot and see if that is still happing. it's not having any heating problems so do you think i should get more hose and complete the loop without any kinks?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Normally when the hot water leaves the engine it flow past the temp sensor and then on through the system. The temp sensor is located in a section of heater hose on the drivers side between the engine and the firewall. It is a two wire temp switch that is either open or closed. Located the sensor and the next time you have the problem pull the electrical plug which will open the circuit then short between the two leads on the plug which will close the circuit. This will check to see if it has any affect on the idle.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Hello, I will take a photo and post it... I disconnected the wires on the plug, made no differencre.. i will test squeezing the house off the aux vale when i get off work in a hour or so. thanks for your help

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

sounds like a possible vacuum leak to me, or a problem with the throttle plates.

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Hello, I still need to check my vacum lines today. How ever I squuez the same hose coming off the aux vale which when cold makes the idel go back to normal. When the hot is hot and I squeeze the same hose the car dies.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee