Replacing main fuel pump. Question re: pinching fuel line from transfer pump.

Hi, It's the '85 Golf (gas, auto) again. Seems every fix solves the stalling problem for a few weeks, then the stalling re-appears. Last fix was replacing the 21 year old ignition switch 2 weeks ago and the car ran fine. Then yesterday engine would run fine for a few seconds then cut out. If wife tries to start engine while I have my hand on the main fuel pump, seems the main pump isn't running. After thumping the main pump with my hand, I could feel the pump run and the engine started. So I'm about to change the main pump (it's 7 years old, with about 40,000 km on it). I've never done this job before.

Question, Bentley says to pinch off the fuel line from the transfer pump. I'm reluctant to do this as the hose is 1985 original and is likely to crack. How much fuel am I going to lose? Will I just lose what is in the hose between the transfer pump and the reservoir? Or will I end up siphoning gas out of the (now full) gas tank if I don't pinch or block the line?

Thanks. About to raise the car on jackstands and investigate the job.

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw

How much fuel is in the tank?

Yep, that's possible.

Follow the bently book. If the line fails, it was bad, replace it.

Reply to
PeterD

Hi, Yep, I went with trusty Bentley. Once I had the car up on jackstands I discovered there is a short length of more flexible rubber hose connecting the fuel line to the pump. I could clamp off the fuel line easily. Still I ended up with about 2 litres of fuel in my drain pan. The pump came out pretty easily and the new one went in no problem.

Only odd thing was with the old pump there were 3 washers at the banjo connection: from the pump outwards there were 2 washers, then the banjo conector, then a 3rd washer, then the cap nut. A VW shop did the last pump change. Wonder if they used the extra washer to make up for something, or just left an old one on by mistake? Anyways, I only put 2 new washers in as per Bentley. I finished up, went for a test drive and the engine ran fine and no leaks.

-T> > Follow the bently book. If the line fails, it was bad, replace it.

Reply to
tonyw