"buzzing" sound from rear fuel pump

My 1986 Jetta has fuel pump under the car, the same place where the fuel filter is. The pump has been making buzzing sound for a while. It used to be fairly quiet, but now it is quite loud intermittently. When I stop suddenly, sound seems to change, almost like fuel getting slushed around. This seems strange.

My question is how long can I wait, before replacing the fuel pump?

Reply to
William Park

Until it fails which is likely to be very soon. Maybe today, maybe next year, but it is sure to happen in some very inconvenient place and time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Your 86 Jetta should have 2 fuel pumps, a main fuel pump under the vehicle and a transfer pump. Now have you checked the transfer pump in the fuel tank? Might just be the strainer is clogged or the transfer pump is bad. I have also found clogged inlet pipes at the main fuel pump housing. I think that there is a little strainer at the housing also.

If you wait too long and the main fuel pump strains (possibly the noise you hear) it will fail sooner.

When the main pump goes then you will probably have to tow vehicle which may cost more than you installing the transfer pump. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

I agree it's probably the transfer pump as well.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks to all replies. The day after stalling on a freeway, I replaced the transfer pump inside the tank. And, the loud buzzing noise has disappeared.

I do hear slight hissing sound, though. But, I don't know if it's coming from the main fuel pump or from mufflers.

Reply to
William Park

Did the stalling go away too?

It will make a slight hum though under normal operation.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes. :-)

I hope the main pump hasn't been damaged too much. It's either new pump or new laptop.

Reply to
William Park