'sounds expensive' - exhaust problem

How much should a new exhaust be if I need one on a 1999.5 Golf TDI?

I'm hoping it's just a muffler, a pipe, or a loose fitting - but bracing my cheque-book for the worst... Drove out of my driveway tonight and 2 mins down the road the car was sounding like a Civic with coffee can exhaust (tho with the Turbo and the rumbling diesel clatter... a LOT tougher!) - needless to say there is a hole somewhere.

Gotta get this fixed soon, I'm still recovering from the migrane the car gave me, how do those tuners live with the noise?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Did you buy this car new? If you did the muffler should be guaranteed for life, you just pay for labor. I've had my '92 jetta's replaced 3 time now.

Reply to
Archangel

Have had it for 2 years this month... I'll try the dealer to see if it is still warranty, but I doubt it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I do believe that you have to be the original owner or have bought a new exhaust yourself to be covered. (one of the reasons I paid the price for a OEM) If you keep the car for a long time it pays for its self. As a side note the dealer does not have to be the one to install it in order for it to be covered.

Reply to
Archangel

I priced out an OEM stainless exhaust from a supplier, 220ish for the muffler, 36 bucks for the midpipe, plus cost of mounts etc... something like a bit over 300 bucks for the system, plus install.... lifetime warranty is an extra $25 - might not take it, I might get rid of the car in a year or so, hopefully (want a new one).

Reply to
Rob Guenther