93 VW Golf 2 litre model non start.

Ignition checks out fine but engine completely dead despite brisk cranking. Left hand (from front) electric fan running constantly suggesting something wierd happening with electrics. Could a blown fuse or something that simple be causing the fuel injection system to not function? This is my daughter's car and if I don't perform a miracle for her she may unload buckets of her precious $$$ on what might be a very simple problem. Can anyone help with this problem which just suddenly appeared?

Reply to
Rangiawhia

timing belt (how briskly does the engine crank?) fuel pump relay ign. coil

You need: compression ignition fuel

good luck!!

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

very weird. When weird things happen, I suggest measuring that there is no unexpected voltage between the engine block and the negative terminal of the battery. I have no reason to expect you will find that, but it is an easy test if you have a fairly sensitive voltmeter. I would expect normal is under a volt DC while cranking and under 0.3 volts when the fan is running.

I would unplug the fan, and hook up a battery charger as you continue.

I would guess that is the "timing belt (how briskly does the engine crank?)" thing. If the timing belt were broken, what would the effect on cranking speed be? I don't know.

Pull one sparkplug out. Hook the sparkplug wire to it. Put the base of the plug against the block or a grounded wire. Stand clear. Crank in dim light. Do you see a spark? If not, think ignition.

Smell gas after your cranking? No? Suspect fuel.

I would probably open the air cleaner and spray starter fluid (ether) into the intake and crank. Does the engine try to catch? If so, the ether is serving as the fuel temporarily. Try that outdoors, and be aware that ether is very very flammable. More cautious people will suggest you not try this.

I assume that others will have better info for you, but sniffing the exhaust, and looking for spark, I suspect everybody will find relevant, and that data would be of use to them in providing more specific suggestions.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

edited!

The speed would increase and also sound consistent like only a "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". If the T-Belt is possibly good then you get that "nenn-nenn-nenn" sound.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

normally, much faster, and, if one cilinder stayed with both valves closed erratical.

if timing belt is fine, you'll get a distinct rithm.

Reply to
Eduardo K.