stick shift is really hard to move until the car warms up

have a 97 Jetta and the stick shift is really hard to move until the car warms up- I have to use all of my muscle to move it from 1-2-3-4 and once it is on the road for 1/2 hour or so it loosens up?

the other strange thing is that the emergency brake cannot be lifted easily- it is so tight and heavy it takes 2 hands and full upper body to raise it- can these problems be related at all? (strange since they are logistically same place)

single mom here with no help of any kind for vehicle - any info you can offer will be so appreciated.

Thank you kindly for any offer of help or advice - Columbus Ohio here.

Reply to
tracy

it is nice to know which engine. I will assume that it is a 5 speed transmission although you only said 1-2-3-4. I think the 2.0 engine will use linkages for the transmission I think the TDI and VR6 will use cables.

I would guess that it is the 2.0 engine and that the linkages are slightly rusty and require lubrication or rebuilding. If cables then possibly lubrication or replacement ($100 per cable x2 plus labor)

Take it to an independant mechanic and let them take a look at it.

Emergency brake problem could also be cables or rear brake hardware, calipers or shoes.

Have you been eating your Wheaties lately? ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I am also from the Columbus area. Yea it has been cold and stick will be stiff (well I have an attached garage and I am retired so it is not much of a problem for me.) :-)

You can check your manual and see what fluid is recommended for the transmission. See if there are alternatives. Switching to something with a lower cold weight number (the first number if there are two) or a synthetic oil will help. You should be able to check with the dealer as well.

I might suggest that the Grove City area dealer has very pleasantly surprised me several times when I bought my TDI NB from them and when I have had service questions. Very un-dealer like. What most surprised me is that they dropped the price $500 from the agreed upon price when I came in to pick it up and write the check. Amazing!

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I suggest you not use the parking brake in this condition. The problem is that it may well not release, and you will burn up your rear brakes. Sometimes water gets into the cables, and the frozen water binds the cable. Instead, park in gear until things are fixed.

Regarding the transmission, it is possible to put in oil that is lighter in cold weather. I don't think it should be cold enough in Columbus Ohio to really stiffen things up all that much tho. There was a recent post where somebody replaced the transmission lube with a Red Line lube and got easier cold shifting.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
none2u

Lets see. I live in central Ohio as well. Lots of salt as you say, but in the over 43 years I have been driving and 7 (3 Vw's) cars I have owned and over 600,000 miles I have never had a parking brake stick and I have always used them. The only people I know who had had that problem are those who had not used them for years and for some reason decided to use them once.

The best way of avoiding problems with the parking brake is to use it as intended, every time you park.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u

No it was a more general point of view ; stop calling it an emergency brake and use it exactly as intended, that is a PARKING brake...

Reply to
al

I?m incredibly thankful for all of this advice. either of my brothers did not know- but of course they don?t drive foreign. I was wondering also about a loud banging grinding type of sound when I turn corners- in the back end? It comes and goes but it has gotten worse with time. It definitely sounds like it comes from the back of the car. I thank you sincerely for your time to give feedback. :

"tracy" wrote

Reply to
tracy

have all wheel bearings checked and look for the noise!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

And don't procrastinate. You don't want to lose a wheel at 55 mph.

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

I?m incredibly thankful for all of this advice. either of my brothers did not know- but of course they don?t drive foreign. I was wondering also about a loud banging grinding type of sound when I turn corners- in the back end? It comes and goes but it has gotten worse with time. It definitely sounds like it comes from the back of the car. I?m really impressed with this forum and thank you sincerely for your time to give feedback.

Reply to
tracy

Thanks Bryan, will do immediately. Appreciate it

"Bryan K. Walton" wrote

Reply to
tracy