stick shift is really hard to move until the car warms up

have a 97 Jetta and the stick shift is really hard to move until the car warms up- I have to use all of my muscle to move it from 1-2-3-4
and once it is on the road for 1/2 hour or so it loosens up?
the other strange thing is that the emergency brake cannot be lifted easily- it is so tight and heavy it takes 2 hands and full upper body to raise it- can these problems be related at all? (strange since they are logistically same place)
single mom here with no help of any kind for vehicle - any info you can offer will be so appreciated.
Thank you kindly for any offer of help or advice - Columbus Ohio here.
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated
http://www.AutoBoardz.com/VW-Jetta-forum-108.html interface

tracy wrote:

I am also from the Columbus area. Yea it has been cold and stick will be stiff (well I have an attached garage and I am retired so it is not much of a problem for me.) :-)
You can check your manual and see what fluid is recommended for the transmission. See if there are alternatives. Switching to something with a lower cold weight number (the first number if there are two) or a synthetic oil will help. You should be able to check with the dealer as well.
I might suggest that the Grove City area dealer has very pleasantly surprised me several times when I bought my TDI NB from them and when I have had service questions. Very un-dealer like. What most surprised me is that they dropped the price $500 from the agreed upon price when I came in to pick it up and write the check. Amazing!
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit
In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, tracy wrote:

I suggest you not use the parking brake in this condition. The problem is that it may well not release, and you will burn up your rear brakes. Sometimes water gets into the cables, and the frozen water binds the cable. Instead, park in gear until things are fixed.
Regarding the transmission, it is possible to put in oil that is lighter in cold weather. I don't think it should be cold enough in Columbus Ohio to really stiffen things up all that much tho. There was a recent post where somebody replaced the transmission lube with a Red Line lube and got easier cold shifting.
If you are in Ohio, the parking brake problem is rust. Salt on the roads eats the cables and the springs and such. . Stop using it or you will trash your rear brakes until you get the emergency brake repaired. Or just stop using it... Also your shift linkage probably needs lubed up or repaired too. The transmission may have the wrong fluid or may be low. Redline is excellent fluid, but the right grade synthetic will work too. "Tom's VR6"

none2u wrote:

Lets see. I live in central Ohio as well. Lots of salt as you say, but in the over 43 years I have been driving and 7 (3 Vw's) cars I have owned and over 600,000 miles I have never had a parking brake stick and I have always used them. The only people I know who had had that problem are those who had not used them for years and for some reason decided to use them once.
The best way of avoiding problems with the parking brake is to use it as intended, every time you park.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit
His parking brake is already broken, You want me to tell him you should of used it more. Or its probably binding from rust,and road salt for 10 years. Where it passes through the backing plates, and it needs cleaned off and lubed up . Or parts replaced if they are too far gone..... Or don't use it anymore before he sticks his rear brakes real good.

none2u wrote:

No it was a more general point of view ; stop calling it an emergency brake and use it exactly as intended, that is a PARKING brake...
Im incredibly thankful for all of this advice. either of my brothers did not know- but of course they dont drive foreign. I was wondering also about a loud banging grinding type of sound when I turn corners- in the back end? It comes and goes but it has gotten worse with time. It definitely sounds like it comes from the back of the car. Im really impressed with this forum and thank you sincerely for your time to give feedback.
"none2u" wrote: > If you are in Ohio, the parking brake problem is rust. Salt on > the roads > eats the cables and the springs and such. . Stop using it or > you will trash > your rear brakes until you get the emergency brake repaired. > Or just stop > using it... Also your shift linkage probably needs lubed up or > repaired too. > The transmission may have the wrong fluid or may be low. > Redline is > excellent fluid, but the right grade synthetic will work too. > "Tom's VR6"
> > > In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, tracy wrote: > > > >>have a 97 Jetta and the stick shift is really hard to move > until the > >>car warms up- I have to use all of my muscle to move it from > 1-2-3-4 > >>and once it is on the road for 1/2 hour or so it loosens up? > >> > >>the other strange thing is that the emergency brake cannot > be lifted > >>easily- it is so tight and heavy it takes 2 hands and full > upper body > >>to raise it- can these problems be related at all? (strange > since they > >>are logistically same place) > > > > I suggest you not use the parking brake in this condition. > The > > problem is that it may well not release, and you will burn > up your > > rear brakes. Sometimes water gets into the cables, and the > frozen > > water binds the cable. Instead, park in gear until things > are fixed. > > > > Regarding the transmission, it is possible to put in oil > that is > > lighter in cold weather. I don't think it should be cold > enough in > > Columbus Ohio to really stiffen things up all that much tho. > There > > was a recent post where somebody replaced the transmission > lube with > > a Red Line lube and got easier cold shifting.
Im incredibly thankful for all of this advice. either of my brothers did not know- but of course they dont drive foreign. I was wondering also about a loud banging grinding type of sound when I turn corners- in the back end? It comes and goes but it has gotten worse with time. It definitely sounds like it comes from the back of the car. I thank you sincerely for your time to give feedback. :
"tracy" wrote
> have a 97 Jetta and the stick shift is really hard to move > until the car warms up- I have to use all of my muscle to move > it from 1-2-3-4 > and once it is on the road for 1/2 hour or so it loosens up? > > the other strange thing is that the emergency brake cannot be > lifted easily- it is so tight and heavy it takes 2 hands and > full upper body to raise it- can these problems be related at > all? (strange since they are logistically same place) > > single mom here with no help of any kind for vehicle - any > info you can offer will be so appreciated. > > Thank you kindly for any offer of help or advice - > Columbus Ohio > here.[b:044c44bfe1][color=cyan:044c44bfe1][/color:044c44bfe1][ > /b:044c44bfe1]
have all wheel bearings checked and look for the noise!

And don't procrastinate. You don't want to lose a wheel at 55 mph.

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email

Thanks Bryan, will do immediately. Appreciate it
"Bryan K. Walton" wrote