suggestions about emissions testing

I have to get my 1991 passat emmisions test ( Ontario, Canada) done . I am planning to replace the Oxygen sensor . Any suggestions about improving my odds of approval .

Ron Hopppe Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
ronh

and maybe these things plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters, change oil usually helps along with warming up that engine some. ;-)

dave

You know that in Ontario, it's a $200 minimum to get a conditional pass, so take the car in and see if it passes as is. If not, have the shop perform the diagnostics then a tune-up. That'll bump the cost to around $200, you have a conditional pass and 2 years to make the required repairs.

Otherwise, if you're doing the work yourself, replace the things that you yourself can pick off the shelf at Canadian Tire (plugs, cap, rotor, air filter). If the O2 sensor is known to be bad, replace it and then have the car tuned (you don't want to burn another one). Run some premium gas or a fuel system treatment and take the car for a spin on the 416 or 417 before you go for the test (make sure it's nice and hot).

Why do you think you need a new O2 sensor?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Most cars that are currently runnning ok will pass. The best & eaistiest two things you can do are.

1) Oil change 2) Fresh Gas right before test.
Reply to
Craig Williams

Reply to
ronh