1.8t - emissions workshop - please help

Hello folks, I have a 2000 passat wagon 1.8t. Right around 39k miles iirc, and the emissions workshop light came on this week.

I read some back articles on the topic from the list and sent the car into the dealer for a check. Here's some info from the mech:

*** Fault Codes: P-1136: Long term fuel trim additive error bank One. system too lean P-1113: bank one oxygen sensor interval resistance too high.

Performed oxygen sensor test using VAG 5051 Oxygen sensor tested OK

Diagnosed fuel val leak, found one hose in intake manifold cracked/broken. Found second hose for changeover valve (turbo) cracked.

Removed and Replaced both hoses, erased codes, set ready codes, went for road test.

- After test the P1113 code still present.

- Recommend replace #1 oxygen sensor

Part number 058-906-265B Part cost $178

*******

My questions are:

- if the oxy sensor tested OK above, why is he recommending to replace it? Only because the P-1113 error wouldn't go away?

- Why is the part cost on that oxy sensor so high? This was a huge shock to me. I thought you guys said in previous posts that that is a $10 part not a $178 part. ugh. Where can I get this part cheaper?

I did not have him replace the oxy sensor at this time. The check engine light is _not_ on and neither is the emissions workshop light. Am I ok to continue until the light comes back on or should I save up for the oxy sensor R&R?

Thanks so much, please respond, Dan Carwin dcarwin at yahoo dot com

Reply to
DWC

That fault can be caused by a faulty heater in the O2 sensor or the wiring to it.

$178... that's just life! One thing I would worry about is that a faulty O2 sensor may cause damage to the cat convertor in time, but as long as your MIL stays off it should be fine. I last time I saw a $10 O2 was the old signle wire ones.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Where did you see that awesome price?? I need one, hell, I'd buy two!

Woodchuck wrote: I last time I saw a $10 O2 was the old

Reply to
Tom Resi

I picked up my new T-reg on Tuesday. Outstanding quality. Anyone have any other impressions?

Reply to
Michael J. Lockman