TDC mark not on flywheel where expected

A while ago I put a new clutch in my '82 NA 1.6L diesel VW Rabbit. Is it possible I put the flywheel back on wrong? Now that I'm doing the timing belt, I've hit a problem. I have the oil pan off so I can see when the #1 piston is at TDC according to the crank, but there is a mark on the flywheel about 60 degrees off from that. When I have the crank at TDC, there is no mark at all on the flywheel.

I'm assuming I should trust the crank and not the flywheel? Then kick myself for putting the flywheel back on wrong?

Thanks!!

Reply to
tylernt

Pure theory here: are there 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank? If so, 360 degrees divided by 6 bolts = 60 degrees off per bolt, IF the flywheel mounts any position. Hopefully another poster can tell you if the engine is externally balanced by the flywheel, in which case, it would need re-positioning. From experience: those engines can vibrate maddingly when out of tune. So, you may really appreciate having the mark where it can be referenced. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Possible, yes... but the flywheel is pined so it can happen easily. But I seen it done before. Or should be pined if the pin wasn't lost over the years. The only "CORRECT" way to time the engine is to fix the TDI mark issue first

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

With no other issues except flywheel placement, I would verify TDC carefully (I believe if I am not mistaken there is a crankshaft pulley mark too) take a white paint touch up brush or thin brush and paint a line exactly on the flywheel where it should be (I usually paint a white line with a tiny brush on the timing mark anyway)

You could also get a measurement in portions of a inch or metric by getting an *accurate* circumference of the flywheel, measuring back or forward by calculating the portions of an inch per degree and putting another line for the recommended timing mark OR just paint on the recommended timing mark.

Then time the engine.

If there are no other issues I would not bother to correct it until the next time you put a clutch plate in. Then scrape off the white lines.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Thanks for the replies. Yes the flywheel is held on by 6 bolts, so initially it looks like I was off by a bolt. However there is also a dot on the crank pulley, and it's off by 60 degrees too! I haven't messed with the crank sprocket, so either the factory or a PO put it on wrong... or it's not a timing mark at all and is just a pulley alignment bump (the V-belt crank pulley has a corresponding bump).

I did put the belt on last night with TDC according to the crank not the flywheel, and turn the engine over slowly by hand. The valves are not hitting the pistons (and they will if you're off on the timing belt by even a little bit) so hopefully that is a good sign.

I actually drove the car for a few dozen miles after the clutch replacement before it overheated and blew the head gasket, so I didn't notice any severe vibration issues (though, as sdlomi2 mentions, they do normally vibrate a lot).

I used some white-out on the "new" TDC so hopefully that will last until the next clutch job.

Thanks again for the replies. This car has just been one challenge after another. :-/

Reply to
tylernt

What sort of basket-case do you have on your hands here? Yeesh, sounds like quite the set of problems.

Sounds like! My sympathies!

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yeah, well, I'm a sucker for diesel Rabbits. But after a new clutch, transmission, driveshafts, starter, water pump, head gasket, timing belt + tensioner, alternator, motor mount, shift linkage, struts, and shocks, I'll have a practically new car! ;)

Reply to
tylernt

I can feel your pain. ;>)

After buying my '88 MK1 Cabbie convertible last year, additional expenses included a new distributor, new belts, new windshield, new fuse box, repaired vent windows, new oil pump, new fuel pump, steering wheel, wiring and lighting repairs, new locks, new carpet, new door cards, new paint job, plus a whole host of other things too numerous to mention. The boss (my wife) has declared that if I ever sell it, I'd better get all of that money back. Sigh!

Anyway, the car is a blast - no matter what anybody else says!

Reply to
Papa