tdi oil change

anyone have experience-good or bad--with "remote" oil drain valves? real pain getting the NB high enough to remove the lower cover, and afraid neighbors would complain about missing pets if i put a grease pit in the driveway. tia, rick.

Reply to
northwind

Could always cut hole in the pan.

Or use a marine pump to pump the oil out from the top.

Reply to
D. Dub

If you don't remove the plug you will never get all the oil/crap out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't have any knowledge of those, but have you considered those drive-onto ramps?

seems a little expensive.They are often on sale at auto parts places.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Do you think a new beetle could get up those without using long, wood extension planks? My 99.5 Golf rubs getting up those service ramps, and the Beetles sit even lower I believe... My 91 Golf needed long wood boards to get onto those ramps, major PITA especially when the car drops into the groove between the end of the wood and the start of the lip where the tire is suppose to sit - got a nice burning smeel from the clutch the first time I drove up onto those ramps... Didn't want to overshoot them :-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Rubs? I have not actually gone up mine forward that I remember. I used jack stands when I changed oil, because I was doing something else. Normally I have somebody else change oil if that was my only reason for being under there.

I did back onto them a few times when I was inspecting and adjusting a muffler. I was also concerned with overshooting. So I sighted to a spot on the driveway thru an open driver's door. I marked the spot. I measured how much farther back I would need to go to be atop the ramp. Then I would mark the adjusted spot with an item. I tended to undershoot a tad, but was over the sloped part enough to ease back into the tire indentation. These were very cheap and not tall ramps.

Reply to
Tom's VR6