Tundra oil drain plug torque spec?

Hello,

I'm about to do my first oil change on a 2005 V8 Tundra. All other vehicles I've had/have with a drain plug gasket have a torque spec (Saab was 42 ft/lbs!).

Does Toyota publish a spec or is it just good-n-tite?

Thanks. Nate

Reply to
N Williamson
39 N·m (400 kgf·cm, 29 ft·lbf)
Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Thanks!

Reply to
N Williamson

Appreciate the response, but I'm even more curious now. While at the dealership this morning getting the drain plug washer the guy was really friendly etc so I asked him about the torque. The fella looked it up and came back with 13 ft/lbs.

Since your info was quite different I did a breakaway torque while removing it. Used a click type, even pressure etc. Started at 13 lbs and worked up. It did not come loose at 20 lbs but did at 22 so makes me wonder. I'm not savvy enough to know how much variance there is in a breakaway torque and to which direction it would be different, ex, breakaway is always more *or* less than what the installation torque was. Too much analyzing I reckon.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson
13 ft/lbs is the spec for the oil pan to block mounting bolts, not the drain bolt.
Reply to
MrFixit469

Gave you the spec from the Toyota Service Manual

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault