That Dry Cleaning Smell in the AC

I drive a 97 Golf and in the summer when it's really really hot I keep the AC on 2 or 3. What I've noticed lately is a smell that is similar to a cross between dry cleaning fluid and that new car smell. I was thinking the car might be leaking coolant but I had a recent checkup and things seemed fine.

Since the car has been on recycled air for most of the summer I was wondering if that might contribute to this ever-so-slight synthetic smell. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Reply to
Eltanin