tiny little whine from '87 Golf

Just recently an almost inaudible little tinny whirring noise has started. I have an automatic transmission but when its in neutral the sound still gets faster when I accelerate so I assume its not "the end of the road" quite yet?8)

It is really quite a small sound but obviously associated with the engine turning over and after a while it disappears?If Ihad the radio on I wouldnt hear it really sounds like a small thing whizzing around I was wondering if anyone would care to throw a guess my way?8)

thanks for the thought so far,

Michael Lough

'87 "rat" golf

Reply to
WBL

Since it's auto it most likely has power steering. Could be the ps pump or possibly altenator. I once owned a 90 jetta auto and it's trans was noisey but worked well. As you've suggested the cure for noises on a older car is to turn up the radio!

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

could be timing belt tensioner or alternator, water pump, ps pump, ac compressor or ???

did you check fluids for quantity and condition? just a thought!

dave

WBL wrote: : Just recently an almost inaudible little tinny whirring noise has : started. I have an automatic transmission but when its in neutral the : sound still gets faster when I accelerate so I assume its not "the end : of the road" quite yet 8)

: It is really quite a small sound but obviously associated with the : engine turning over and after a while it disappears If Ihad the radio on : I wouldnt hear it really sounds like a small thing whizzing around I was : wondering if anyone would care to throw a guess my way 8)

Hi buddy, pal, friend... mine makes so much noise just yet that I can't make any suggestions as to what to look for, but I was wondering if you have a digital camera and could take a picture of how your rear hatch shelf attaches at the hinge in the back? I've been to the dealer a few times looking at the diagram on his pc (if you see my parts number post) he's gotten two different parts with the same number so far... he's got another on order to see what he gets...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

yes checked engine oil, had tranny oil and diff oil changed ?

the most recent update is that this little noise seems most audible to me at 3000 revs before and after this number it isnt there, well to my admittedly slightly damaged hearing it isnt?

would this number be significant in defining the source?

thanks for the thoughts everyone?

michael

Reply to
WBL

vibration and probably on the exhaust downpipe..........maybe shield later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave