Transmission

I really don't know much about cars. I have a 2002 Jetta GLS. Recently for the past couple of months I haven't been able to go into reverse from a cold start. Now like if I drive to work I can go into reverse but once in a while I have to try shifting it a couple times. Also it is an automatic. Any idea whats going on. Do I need a new transmission or just go to the dealer to get transmission fluid as I heard they are sealed and can't get to them.

Reply to
jettaboistl

I had an issue with my transmission acting up as well. I thought it was the fuel pump as my car was stalling and VERY hard shifting. After numerous trips to dealer, they could not replicate it as once the car was turned off and back on the problem would go away. The last time it happened, the service guy drove with me and said he knew what it was. They reprogrammed the tranny and it has NEVER happened since. The problem is if the car is not doing it at THAT very moment when you take it, they will never find out what is wrong as the code goes away. Ask them to reprogram it and see what happens.

Reply to
2002 jetta fuel pump

Well, fluid would be the first thing to check. If that's ok, the reprogramming mentioned earlier sounds like a cheap thing to try before dropping a couple grand on a new transmission.

Reply to
tylernt

I have had similar problem with 2002 1.8T Jetta GLS Tiptronic. Occurs regularly under two circumstances:

If car is running then stop, shift into park and then shift into drive the transmission does not engage. I have to feather the gas pedal and then an abrupt shift into gear - it sounds and feel painful. This scenario happens if I pull up to the drive-up window at bank or fast food, stop, shift to P, and get food, then shit to D.

The other situation is scarier. I have been on the highway driving 55, then traffic slows and I take my foot off the gas, and then put my foot back on the gas and there is nothing there! Also scary if I am driving on a street steadily, then slow and turn left across traffic, occasionally there is a many second delay. VW has looked at it several times and says they see nothing wrong. Drivers wanted.... Transmission wanted more.

Reply to
peterd

You know I have noticed sometimes there is a delay in the get up and go. I just have the 4 banger but still for a 4 banger I can still go pretty well. Just once in a while it will do that. My main problem is the reverse thing. On a cold start before the car is warm I can't go in reverse. So like when I go out to the store, friends house, bar, work and so if I am going to be there a while I have to find a spot where I can just pull out of. Very annoying.

Reply to
jettaboistl

Here's instructions I have paraphrased form the TDI Club forum :

Transmision reset :

1) With the car NOT running, turn the ignition key to the on position, but not to the point where it turns the starter. 2) With the car NOTrunning and the key in the on position, push down on the accelerator pedal all the way, you will feel a "click" at the bottom, not very apparent, not a loud click. That is some kind of switch you are actuating. Leave the pedal down for 20 seconds, (one forum said 6 seconds, I did 20), then release it. 3) Then turn off the ignition key, (I turned it off and took it out to make sure I did it correctly). Now the tranny setting should be reset. Start the car normally and see if the tranny is working normally.
Reply to
Zoofreak

I tried it and it didnt work. I heard the click and everything. Oh well I am just going to have to break down and go the dealer. If I need a new transmission I might as well get a new car for what I hear it will cost.

Reply to
jettaboistl

I have a 1999 Jetta VR6 and my transmission exploded while I was driving. It cost well over $3000. Not much fun.

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

Shifting problems often can be caused by dirty fluid, dirty valve body, and/or low fluid. Have them check it for leaks and replace any bad seals and change the fluid and filter (there should be a filter inside the transmission too) and clean the pan. With new clean fluid, clean filter, and proper fluid level, 85% of auto transmission issues go away.

Since you said it happens at a cold start more often, my bet is low fluid (and in turn that means a leak). That's not the end of the world at all. It happens from time to time.

Reply to
Matt B.