1997 Jetta Automatic Transmission problems

I have a 1997 Jetta GLS with automatic transmission, and it is having some problems shifting. Sometimes it will rev for a few seconds in one gear
before shifting, and the shift is occasionally rough.
Is there any chance that this is a minor problem or would it involve replacing the transmission? Thanks for any input.
Sounds like it's slipping, has the fluid ever been changed?
Might be a little late for that tho.

Might be a water problem inside. At least that is what the dealer told my brother with his 97 Jetta when they sold him a new trans, and these transmissions are sealed(?). His Jetta was purchased used with over 60k miles.
Have you owned this Jetta since new and does it have less than 100K miles? Maybe the warranty applies! :-)
I had to clean the wiring plug to my 91 passat automatic transmission when it started not shifting properly after a heavy rain. Cleaning the plug terminals improved the shifting!!
Let us know what you find or do! I am looking at purchasing a 96 Jetta cheap with a bad transmission. I kinda want to know what makes them work.......or not work! ;-)
Good luck! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris
Well, I have good news. There was a leak in the transmission, and after replacing a gasket and reprogramming the codes, the car is driving 99% better. It cost much less than replacing the transmission would have, needless to say!

some