Transporter cooling problems

Hi All,

Someone named t4 wrote a message about a cooling problem with their 2.4 transporter. I have had such a problem with mine. I stripped down the rad (becareful of the power steering fluid - top hoses), took out the thermosat (which I had already changed) and flushed out the system = no problem. However, with the rad off I noticed that there are a set of louvres over the fans. These open - presumably by the heat operated device in the centre of the rad - and I found this to be seized. I removed the device that operates them, reassembled the system and went for drive = problem solved! So, no need to go anywhere the head gasket (big sigh of relief).

The interesting thing for me was that the vehicle was fine ticking over but as soon as you made it work (say on the by-pass/motorway) it got hot in seconds.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
happysparks

Yep this is a common failure item on T4 VW vans.

Reply to
Matt B.