Treat your locks for cold weather

It's time to treat your door locks if you expect very cold weather. Water gets inside, and the very cold weather can freeze the lock. Think ahead.

There are various methods, and which methods are good and proper can get heated. My current method is to squirt antifreeze in with a basketball inflation needle that is taped to a big dropper. I plan to follow that up in a day or two with some very light oil. My theory is that some water gets washed away, and some gets mixed with a lot of antifreeze. The oil is because the antifreeze would wash away lubricant. It seems to work for me.

Those who propose to use silicon spray seem to have a very good presentation. There are proponents of WD-40. There are little containers of fluid that are sold for the purpose; they seem to be the most expensive method.

So I won't say you should use my method. I won't be offended by those who post that my method is the worst way. Just don't find yourself locked out Jan 2 because you forgot to take whichever action you deem proper.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Good luck with that.

OIL & LOCKS DON'T MIX.

The oil attracts dirt and even light oil eventually turns to heavy sticky evil gunk as the lightest parts evaporate.

What you want is a clean dry lock maybe with a little graphite or other approved dry lock lube.

Stick with the real stuff, if you think you really need something, and now you will need something. Most people will find they don't need anything as the locks will be fine as long as they don't mess with them. If you have problems use a true lock product, not some general purpose lube that claims it works in locks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Bman