VW Beetle tire question

myy 99 beetle has 205-55-16. Stock. Looking at snow tires. 215-55-16. Will these be too wide? will they work?

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

Jim Behning

Note that the middle number (55) means that the height is 55 percent of the width (205 mm.)

so... a 215/55/16 would be taller and wider than a 205/55/16.

Having a taller tire will affect all kinds of things including your speedometer. Not only that, but a narrower tire is better in the snow. Reconsider that snow tire size!

Reply to
Ears

Absolutely, You need a narrower tire. a relatively taller % to keep it the same height. , Maybe a 195/65/16 or 185/70/16. Or get the size you have.

Reply to
None4You

A narrower tire will require a different wheel - keep that in mind as well. There is some tolerance in tire-size and aspect-ratio for a wheel of a given size and width. But not all 16" diameter tires will fit on all 16" diameter wheels.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I don't know about the specific tyre/car/wheel combination, but some narrower tyres will fit on an OEM rim. I don't suggest doing so unless you have confirmed that they are compatible and not that they will physically fit. Places like TireRack can provide information on what combinations are possible and safe.

Generally it is best to use a more narrow tyre for snow. You get better traction.

Reply to
jmeehan

Not in my experience. I had to sign a release to get them to sell me the factory recommended snow tire size for my 944 because it wasn't in their database. (they work great BTW)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

For Winter tyres you want then less wide not wider for best snow performance. Modern winter tyres are called Winter tyres rather than Snow tyres. They are using different technology than the old Snow tyre designs.

Reply to
jmeehan

AFAIK Blizzak tires maybe? And keep the narrower size so they can cut through the snow like a knife! ;-)

For Winter tyres you want then less wide not wider for best snow performance. Modern winter tyres are called Winter tyres rather than Snow tyres. They are using different technology than the old Snow tyre designs.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

A narrower tire will require a different wheel - keep that in mind as well. There is some tolerance in tire-size and aspect-ratio for a wheel of a given size and width. But not all 16" diameter tires will fit on all 16" diameter wheels.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

It might require a different wheel. But it depends on the tire requirement in wheel,diameter. It just needs to be measured.

Reply to
None4You

For Winter tyres you want then less wide not wider for best snow performance. Modern winter tyres are called Winter tyres rather than Snow tyres. They are using different technology than the old Snow tyre designs.

They tried to design them without studs. But they are still available

Reply to
None4You

I have Blizzak studded snow tires on my 86 Diesel Golf for two years now. From tire rack . Its the bomb. Gets around better then my 4 by 4 Chevy . Its very difficult to get them to spin. They grip awesome.

Reply to
None4You