VW Golf IV broken into

My car was just broken into in a hotel lot. They destroyed the driver's side key-lock. I can actually unlock my car with my finger now! Is that OK? The effort the thieves used seems to be very limited, and the alarm did not go off either. I cannot go anywhere with the car like this now. Anyone with similar experience? What to do? There is one key for ignition, driver side and back door. How to get the same lock? Or have a different key? Please advice.

Reply to
Rochester

You can have a replacement keylock 'rekeyed' to your original by any decent locksmith and/or the dealer (who might just farm it out anyway).

To avoid this type of problem in the older cars people would install Armour Door plates, a hard metal shield that fits under the door handle around the lock portion. I am not aware of the need nor solution for such a thing in the later models, but it appears it is still a problem.

hth, TBerk

Keys and locks can be ordered by your dealer to match. Just give them your VIN number to order the lock. It's that easy!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Are you sure that the lock did not just fall apart and you didn't notice? Dealer can sell you the lock pieces and make it so it will work with your current key.

Remember if that lock piece is gone out of the door handle, the thieves might be able to cut a key and actually use that to drive your car away. :-(

Get a club NOW to at least slow them down.

JMHO

dave

IV's are all one piece unlike the III's which fell apart.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Dave,

Tanks. No, my lock broke, but did not fall apart. They broke off the outside of the lock (some zinc mold pieces, a piece of a spring and the outside decorative cover piece at the keyhole), and what really frustrates me, it now rotates inside and actuates the door unlock even without a key. Through the hole I can see the lock where the key goes in. I can actually turn the whole lock piece with my finger inside, no key needed. The whole thing moves in and out too somewhat, but doesn't come out all the way. What is the alarm doing? It did not go off. Another golf in the same parking lot was hacked the same way. These junkies knew what they were doing!

Reply to
Rochester

Thanks Woodchuck. I have not had to handle the IVs locks.............yet! lol

So since the thieves could unlock the door, the alarm would not sound. Is this correct? Ugly!

dave

Yes it is correct. The only problem is how easy their job was. I think all they used is a big screwdriver and force.

Reply to
Rochester

Yes, a large screw driver pushed into the crack above the rear of the handle, can push down the tab that unlocks the door. It is the same action that a key or the trigger performs. Armour Door plates stop this "pry-in" weakness. I am not going to say where to use the 'driver on the Mk IVs, cos I have just bought one, and it still seems possible, but much more difficult.

To replace a lock barrel - get an identical handle and lock from a scrap yard, and you will be able to dismantle the barrel and put yours in, if it is undamaged. Otherwise the dealer. I posted this because there might be others who have an un-damaged barrel.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

IIRC, that only works up to Mk III.

On older Golfs (and other VW) it's possible to match new barrels to existing keys quite easily. If the old barrel isn't too badly mangled, then you can do it in about half an hour. Else you have to get/make some "blanks" for the locking plates and file/grind them to match. I posted the procedure for the former about 10 years ago.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche