VW non-turbo injection pump question

This is a 1982 Rabbit truck with 1.6L diesel.

The PO had installed a small gasoline-type fuel filter in place of the original VW large filter/water trap. Following the filter was a small electric fuel pump (2-4 lbs psi). I didn't like the idea of the small filter and I assumed that it might be a restriction, so I got a stock filter assembly from the junkyard, replaced the element and installed it. After that, the truck became hard to start in the mornings, and would smoke when cold like it was way rich. I thought that the electric fuel pump might be a cause, and the stock fuel system did not use one anyway, so I removed it. That hard starting and smoke went away and the truck ran fine.

So my question is: Is the fact that the truck ran rich with the electric pump feeding the IP indicative of something wrong with my IP?

-- Tom

My diesel truck runs on used veg oil!

My 1958 Ford
Visit the Cleveland Engine Forum
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt...a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom