1996 C220 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

The check engine on my C220 has been on. The car runs fine. Don't whether to have it checked or not. I have access to a scanner but it does not have the MB cartridge to be able to read the MB codes. I think its just an emissions issue since this was a California car.

It would be linda nice to know what the code says and it may be a simple fix. Just don't like seeing that light on.

Any thoughts out there???

Reply to
tobybul

I had a similar problem with my 96 c280. I replaced the ERG valve, recommended after a comp check. Not the problem. It turned out to be a small vaccum hose leak. Good Luck.

Reply to
larrger

You got an OBD-II car... any generic scanner can pull the code out... then use the code info on internet for MB specific information.

Reply to
Tiger

Sell the car. That light will come on again and again and again and again and again and ... But don't worry - it is only 150 to 300 each time to fix it. Unless it means you need a 1500 carbon removal job which entails removing the heads and blowing them out at the Stealership nearest you.

mcbrue experiencedly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420 (lit by yellow lite)(again)
Reply to
MCBRUE

McBrue... seems like you hate MB now... and have become a troll instead... perhaps you better sell your MB before you lose your mind. Get a Honda... at least you won't need to fix anything.

Reply to
Tiger

I guess the fact that your mechanics are incompotent have soured you on MB...

It's funny that this group seems to divide into two categories.

1) People who have very expensive newer vehicles that have problems and want to fix them. Usually this group is not so well disposed to MB? 2) People with older MB's that didn't cost too much (like me) who are very happy with there cars and want help fixing some of the expected problems.

Admittedly if I had paid through the nose for a newer fancy car, I would expect it to work for a while also.

You should find someone else to work on your car, or blow it up!

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Good one, Marty. My C220 was free except for transport cost fr another state. I just like to tinker with my cars and I am sure I will figure out the chk light one of this days. Hey, Tiger, I already tried scanning it with OBDII but would not read. I think its b/c its has Domestic Cartridge and the closest key I have is for Chrysler. I thought it would work b/c its a Daimler/Chrysler product but I could not get the VIN to match up on the scanner. Am I missing something here? You can email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if you prefer.

I was kinda chuckling as I was going thru the car especially the engine b/c I think its got old technology. But there must be something to MB's approach as their cars do last long. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
tobybul

Go to your local Autozone and ask to borrow their scanner. You are using some specific OBD scanner like Snap On MT2500... which are very specific to manufactuer. I was talking about those cheapo or nice fancy generic OBD-II scanner.

You will only get the code if you go that check engine light on. Autozone lends you the tool free of charge. They are using AutoXray tools... I had one the 5000 series but sold it to a shop who needs it.

Reply to
Tiger

You are right, man. I was using a Snap On Tool Scanner from the garage at work which requires cartridges for specific vehicles. Thanks for the tip. I always forget that Autozone (and NAPA) loans out tools.

Will check it out tomorrow. Muchos Gracias. Maraming Salamat. Merci. Danka.....

Reply to
tobybul

By the way, People, I found a nice Haynes manual for my 1996 C220 from books4cars.com. This store in Washington which sells online has loads of books for cars.

If you haven't already, check it out.

Toby

Reply to
tobybul

Tiger, I got a P0411 error from the OBDII, "SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM INCORRECT FLOW". I guess I don't know what its referring to. Is it the fuel system or the emissions?? I went thru my Haynes manual but so far I couldn't find any discussion about this.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
tobybul

"SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM INCORRECT FLOW".

This is emission related. Although it tell us this, it doesn't mean that is what we should look for. Basically it is saying that the computer detected problem with your emission system that there may be a blockage where the pressure pushes back and caused incorrect airflow.

I would check your EGR valve.. PVC system... for possible problem..

Reply to
Tiger

AIR [ Air injection system] has nothing to do with egr or pvc sytems/workings. It is an Air Pump that bring auxillary air into the exhaust system during warm up to limit nox and aid in fast cat warm up. If a Secondary air system code is brought up, one want s to see if the pump comes on during the first 2 min of cold operation. The AIR system never works after the engine management goes into Closed Loop control. When closed loop is attained , the ecu disconnects AIR. If no operation of pump, checks in order are fuse, vac line to check valve , and AIR switch-over valve operation. If pump does operate, then the code can relate to a faulty 02 sensor. If the sensor does not see .o4mv [ real lean]when the ECU does a flow test, it will bring up the AIR flow code..so . the 02 sensor has to be tested for Min voltage reading limit to check out as OK. This is the only time the 02 sensor is required to drop this lean, so a normal o2 sensor fault code will not come up as bad sensor. This test is best done by a Benz tech, as the o2 is seldom condemned by the average mechanic, but is often the culprit for AIR Flow code on Benz EFI and is also the first indication of a starting to fail sensor.

Reply to
AJDalton7

I believe that this is a problem with the emissions systems. I found this on a document from Ford:

The electric air pump is used with one or two electrically controlled check valves to deliver air into the exhaust manifold. The AIR pump flow check monitors the HO2S signal at idle to determine if secondary air is being delivered into the exhaust system. The air/fuel ratio is commanded open-loop rich, the AIR pump is turned on and the time required for the HO2S signal to go lean is monitored. If the HO2S signal does not go lean within the allowable time limit, a low/no flow malfunction is indicated. (P0411) The electric air pump draws high current and must be energized through a separate relay. Both the primary and secondary circuits are checked for opens and shorts. First, the output driver within the PCM (primary circuit) is checked for circuit continuity (P0412). This circuit energizes the relay and the control valve(s). A feedback circuit from the secondary side of the relay to the PCM is used to check secondary circuit continuity (P1413, P1414).

Reply to
Josh

Mmm... I never seen a direct air connection from air pump into exhaust manifold... unless that is something new.

Reply to
Tiger

New?? Benz has been using Air Induction for years.. The aux air is injected from the pump , thru the check valve, via the SOV to the head exhaust runners between cyl. 3 and 4 on the IL-6s.. They have been using Air Induction since they started using CATS........ ..

Reply to
AJDalton7

I am sorry... I am confused... I have only seen air pump hooked up to air cleaner on old cars... not to exhaust runner... heck my 84 380SE doesn't even have EGR and 84 190E 2.3 don't recall seeing anything like that.

It is interesting you mentioned this...

Reply to
Tiger

Yeah.. it basically only will come on when cold , and even then for no more than 110 sec.. lots of guys disconnect them, but then the cats life is shortened..

Reply to
AJDalton7

Thanks, josh. That really explains it well. Now, I just have to find wher all these parts are. Some local radio automotive talk show thinks I might have a bad air pump. Don't want to jump into buying one ($400+ online) w/o knowing that is really the problem. Sounds like this relates to vacuum and emissions. Sometimes, its just a leaking hose. Gotta diagnose it.

Reply to
tobybul