W GOLF 1.9 TDI (1966) COOLING SYSTEM

Hi there, i have a vw golf having coolant problem. On a run, after approx. 40 mins, the temperature warning light comes on. On investigation the coolant has gone down in the header tank. I top back up and same again. This does not happen as frequently on short runs. I cannot see a leak. I have replaced the thermostat. The bottom hose on the radiator does not get very warm, could i have a blockage in the radiator? There is pressure present when i remove the filler cap. Any suggestions on above very welcome.

thank you

Reply to
hilltop

Sounds like a headgasket failure to me. Temp goes up coolant disappears but leaves no trace. Hayden

Reply to
Hayden Chasteen

At the rate the coolant is disappearing, if it were the head gasket I'd expect you would see steam. I saw plenty of steam when I blew a head gasket a couple of years ago. I would test the head gasket theory by running at idle for 20 minutes or so and I would discount the theory if you don't see vapor, unless you see foamy oil which would mean the coolant is mixing with the oil. I happen to be experiencing coolant loss myself also in a 96 Golf. Googling this NG archives turned up the suggestion of replacing the coolant hose flange (or at least the O ring) at the driver's left side of the block. I did that yesterday and I also drained the system and noticed that some hoses are clamped and other's depend on an O ring for a seal and a clip to hold in place. I had the feeling that if one type of connection were going to leak, it would be the O ring.

Ray

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

if you can perform a "leak down" test, you will find the answer to your question and more

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Hayden Chasteen