Citroen AX overheating

Hello, I wonder if anybody can explain these symptoms.

The car is a 1996 Citroen AX 1.0 Dimension petrol. After about half an hour of driving the temperature warning lamp lights up. While it is lit the heater blows cold air into the cabin. There is coolant in the expansion tank. Shorting out the radiator fan switch to leave the fan permanently on while driving does not improve the situation.

Is this behaviour consistent with a faulty thermostat? Or can you think of another cause?

David.

Reply to
David Linley

could be an air block, hence the cold air in the cabin, have you tried re-bleeding the cooling system ?

Reply to
reg

Reply to
David Linley

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a go. Any advice/suggestions for how to attach a header tank to the expansion tank?

David.

Reply to
David Linley

you should have bleed holes in one of the heater matrix pipes and i think there is one in the radiator itself at the top.

Reply to
reg

Reply to
barry

AX's are notorious for head gasket failure IIRC.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

yep, all you get is a silly light telling your engines now fooked ;-)

if it wasn't before it will be now...

Reply to
john

Thanks Reg! Bleeding the coolant did the trick! A great relief after reading some of the other suggestions.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

excellent Dave, many thanks for letting us know.

Reply to
reg