Intrepid-musty smell from heater

I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid and I am getting a bad moldy/musty smell from the heater and defroster and the windows immediately fog up. This is moisture only and not Anti-freeze or an oily film on the windows. We had the pressure checked on the heater core and it showed no leakage. The drainage tube was clear. Worried about Legionaire's Disease! Getting desperate!

Reply to
sparkyandthelibrarian

I was in the Chrysler dealer today and they had aerosol cans of stuff specifically for this problem. Can't remember the name but they were sitting out front and center at the parts counter.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Hi Sparky...

Can offer a similar experience from a few years back if it should be of any interest to you...

An Olds 98 showed exactly the same symptoms you describe. Turned out that I (or it) had somehow managed to collect a whole lot of leaves in the (dunno what you call it) area under the air intake grill and all the way up to the air conditioner condensor.

They got wet, stayed wet, smelled awful, and misted the inside windows.

Mechanic removed the intake grill, removed all the leaves by hand, and then sprayed in and around a couple of cans of brake cleaner. Worked fine.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel