1965 Chevy PU

My neighbor has a 1965 Chevy V-8 that he has been having problems starting .I believe he has checked everything .I tried to help him with ideas that we agree on.I came into the picture 6-7 days after he started working on the problem.Finally last night he got spark.Almost everything involved with the distributor is new or tested to be in operative condition ,still will not start.It has good fuel supply,the battery has tested to be good.All wiring has been checked and has no frays or broken evidence. My instinct from a little experience with GM engines tells me that it is possible that the timing chain is worn and has skipped a notch or two,or that the chain may not be "stretched" but the gear teeth have become worn enough for them to be "rounded" and therefore causing it not to fire in its required position.Although he has co-ordinated the #1 plug with the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and the distributor electrode pointing to the #1 plug wire.It has been a long time since I have been involved with this kind of problem but it seems to me that the starter is not turning the engine over as fast as I can remember and does not seem as strong a sound as I remember. I know for a fact there are at least a dozen guys that contribute to the group that are excellent mechanics and technicians.I have complete confidence in their expertise and know they will either pinpoint the problem or give a substantial clue how to proceed to solve this problem. I apologize for the lengthy e-mail,but you needed all the possible information. I thank you in advance.

Reply to
Eno Zamora

with the timing as you suggested, the timing may be off by 180 degrees. you must pull #1 plug and determine that the piston coming up pushes out air before it reaches top dead center. do this by placing your finger over the plug hole and hand crank the engine to feel the pressure building up. This is then at the correct timing for compression in # 1 cylinder. then the distributer rotor should be at # 1 position in the distributer. if it is not, pull the distributer, rotate it 180 degrees and reseat it in the drive slot.

old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman