2001 Jimmy oil lines

Page 2 of 2
This 93 S-10 4.3 I just got...when I started taking the oil cooler line from the bottom of the radiator..it was real corroded and broke off...I just hacked the line off up to the filter...left about an inch of the 2
tubes sticking out and put a rubber oil line on with 2 clamps...and plugged the radiator..to keep dirt out...temp.fix till...I get to junk yard.Later Bobby
Double Tap wrote:

A Mitchell type manual will allow about 2.3 hrs for the job.

It's difficult to comment on this unless I could see his quote.

I can tell you this about the labour for this job....warranty labour pays 1.5 hrs to do both the upper and lower engine cooler lines. I can routinely do the job in under 45 minutes. The 2.3 hrs comes from the typical multiplication of factory (warranty) time by 1.4 This is usually how the Mitchell style books figure the time out. Must be a great business.....get all your times from the factory, multiply by 1.4.....layout your time guide and charge a ridiculous amount of money for it.
Ian

I had an educational day today. I called two different dealers both within 10 miles of my home and received very different quotes on the phone for the identically asked for job.
I asked both how much it would cost to replace the engine oil cooler lines on an 01 Jimmy SLE 4 x 4. The first dealer said put me on hold for thirty seconds and came back with $600, no breakdown of parts and labor, just said approximately $600.
The second dealer said they charge $99 per hour looked up the time and said 2.1 hours plus parts. He also said that he was unsure of the parts price thinking $96 but asked me to call the parts dept. to check. The parts dept said $165 plus tax. So if I add the 2.1 at $99/h and the $165 and add tax the total comes to $404.
That is one hell of a difference between two dealers within spitting distance of each other.My usual shop also said approximately $600.
Needless to say the dealer with the $404 quote will get the job.
Double tap
Double Tap,Good choice i am glad you did your home work.I have been a service writer for a independent shop for about 6 years ,and was a line tech for 3 at the same facility.I have recieved many new customers and one hell of a relationship with them and still growing.Do youself a favor and find a shop that believes in helping you,that is the one you want.John