2003 Silverado, front differential noise

Threaded View
I recently purchased a '03 Z71 silverado w/ 4 wheel drive. While out in the
mountains I had the chance to use 4wd (4 hi) but noticed what sounded like
a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front end, more pronounced when
turning or accelerating. The noise was not constant, but was matched to the
rotation of the wheels. It was similar to the sound a worn out brake pad
makes against the rotor.  I am going to take it to the dealer to have it
checked
out but wondered if anyone had any ideas what could be causing this.
The noise is gone when in 2wd, and the truck performs great otherwise.

thanks much

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
its UNDER WARRANTY

: I recently purchased a '03 Z71 silverado w/ 4 wheel drive. While out in
the
: mountains I had the chance to use 4wd (4 hi) but noticed what sounded like
: a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front end, more pronounced
when
: turning or accelerating. The noise was not constant, but was matched to
the
: rotation of the wheels. It was similar to the sound a worn out brake pad
: makes against the rotor.  I am going to take it to the dealer to have it
: checked
: out but wondered if anyone had any ideas what could be causing this.
: The noise is gone when in 2wd, and the truck performs great otherwise.
:
: thanks much
:
:

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
Sounds like CV joint to me:-)

Don

the
when
the

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise

"Steve Symms" wrote

the
when
the

There are a few bulletins out concerning front axle and t/case problems
on these trucks.  Your symptoms don't quite match  the bulletin symptoms,
but that means nothing.  There have been a lot of problems with the
front diffs in these trucks....and they often end up taking out the t/case
with them.  Get it checked it out at the dealer and see what they come
up with.  For 2003, there is a procedure out to replace the t/case
encoder motor sensor, and reprogram the TCCM.  One of the four
symptoms does happen to be "grinding noise is heard from the
front axle."

They should also check the front axle engagement sleeve for
wear problems.  Bulletin number is  03-04-21-001C

Ian

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
.
.
.
.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai)

There are a few bulletins out concerning front axle and t/case problems
on these trucks.

 Your symptoms don't quite match the bulletin symptoms, but that means
nothing. There have been a lot of problems with the front diffs in these
trucks....and they often end up taking out the t/case with them.

Get it checked it out at the dealer and see what they come up with.

 For 2003, there is a procedure out to replace the t/case encoder motor
sensor, and reprogram the TCCM. One of the four symptoms does happen to
be "grinding noise is heard from the front axle."

They should also check the front axle engagement sleeve for wear
problems. Bulletin number is 03-04-21-001C

Ian
========
========

you know.......

good information is good information.

Good Insider information is priceless.

marsh monster
~:~thinks Ian ..IS...mr. goodwrench~:~

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
Ian can get a big head, now.  I KNOW he's Mr Goodwrench!!
.

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
Ian,

Thanks very much for the info, I appreciate it.

I stopped at the dealer today, and the genius there says "its normal, and is
being caused by clutch plates in the transfer case (or differential, cant
remember
exactly what he said now)..   Yah, right.  I'll check the TSB you mentioned
below
and take another run at them.

I realize its under warranty, but I dont want to be 50 miles from the
nearest
town on some snowy backcountry road and have the front end go t/u on me.

Thanks again
Steve

like

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise
Differential clutch chatter is more pronounced in tight turns.  Been that
way for the past 40 years that I'm familiar with.  There used to be an oil
additive made from whale oil that is no longer available.
Never saw a differential break do to the normal chatter.

Dale P...........

is
mentioned
in
pad
it
symptoms,
t/case

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise

"dale peterson" wrote

This is a different scenario.  You are thinking about a limited slip
rear axle.  The OP was talking about noise from the front axle
which would not have a limited slip.  On the newer "active"
transfer cases, there is a clutch pack in the transfer case that
is modulated to apply torque to the front driveshaft when needed
or commanded...depending on what mode the t/case is in.

Ian

Re: 2003 Silverado, front differential noise

that
oil

Correct, in my case there is no noise in 2wd but the grinding/rubbing noise
is
present when set in 4HI, regardless if accelerating or coasting. I would
think
that if it were caused by the clutch pack the sound would cease when
accelerating.
The dealer thought I had the 4wd selector (electric switches) set to "auto
4wd" which
I didnt, and that doing that would explain the noise. I just bought this
truck last
month so would hope that the transfer case or differential issues identified
in late 2002/early 2003 would
have been addressed already by Chevy. I'll keep looking for that TSB you
mentioned and
see if it fits with this situation like you say.

Thanks again gents
Steve

Site Timeline