Differential Noise

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport with 107,000 miles and an automatic transmission. Recently it appears that my rear differential is making a bit more noise. It sounds like I have snow tires on the car which I don't. I only notice it when I am going above about 50 miles an hour. There are no engine warning lights. I was wondering if this is normal aging or something I should be concerned about? Thanks

Reply to
Richard

Could be the wheel bearings are getting noisy. This sounds a lot like aggresive snow tires. Does the noise change when you turn left or right?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I don't think so, but I will check it tomorrow when I have to go on the highway.

Could be the wheel bearings are getting noisy. This sounds a lot like aggresive snow tires. Does the noise change when you turn left or right?

Dave

Reply to
Richard

Stupid question, but you didn't mention it in your initial post: Have you checked the fluid level?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Richard

Before I drove too many more miles I would check this, or have it looked at! If the level is low and the gears etc are not getting proper lubrication the whole thing can seize. Not a good thing on the highway at

70MPH!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

mission. Recently it appears that my rear differential is making a bit

I have this problem also, I have 1995 legacy wagon automatic awd, The rear end can be damaged by having one tire larger or with higher tire pressure than the one on the opposite side of the car.

Reply to
NEILL1974

I have an appointment on Thursday to have my Subaru dealer look at it. I will report back with their findings.

I have this problem also, I have 1995 legacy wagon automatic awd, The rear end can be damaged by having one tire larger or with higher tire pressure than the one on the opposite side of the car.

Reply to
Richard

The dealer said it was a bad left wheel bearing which he replaced and the problem is solved. Last year I had the right front bearing go bad.

Reply to
Richard