90 GMC - Headlight Operation

Weird question - 90 GMC with what I think are called 'composite' headlights. (the plastic ones with replaceable bulbs)
When the high beams turn on should the low beams stay on?
Neither of mine do but I"m not sure if they're both out or if they're supposed to cut off.
Tom
i just got rid of a 90 c truck this is normal operation the low beams go off when highbeam is turned on.. also if you have fog lites they go off with hi beams.. there are some places that sell a relay and harness to make all 4 lites stay on
paul

Thanks!
Tom