96 S10 Blazer 4WD - Pitman arm replacement ????

96 S10 Blazer 4WD - Pitman arm needs replacement, really sloppy. Seems they now put the joint on the pitman arm instead of the center link which is much easier to replace. My question is what's the best way to remove the pitman arm seeing as the frame is in the way ????? Is there a short cut to replace the arm without removing the steering box, which looks like a nightmare in itself...... Thanks.............

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

Reply to
Brian

Brian, My company owns a fleet of '99 Blazers. Keeps me busy! The pitman arms need replacement on a regular basis here. The design is very poor.

First remove the front plastic panel that looks like a skid plate, and the left front wheel. Break the pitman arm loose from the steering link. Then remove the 3 steering box bolts from the outside of the frame. Working from the front, you can pivot the box enough to get a pitman arm puller in there to get the arm off. It is a pain, but once you do it, it is not that bad. Air tools are a big help.

Good luck. James

Reply to
James1549

I was hoping I didn't have to remove the box... Thanks..............