97 Chevy K-1500 shifts in the 4-hi by itself...

My 97 K-1500 (104,000 miles) truck has started to shift itself into 4Hi on its own. The transfer case shift lever is still in 2-lo, but the transfer case light comes on, and you can hear/feel the front drive is
engaging. Only the rear axel is lit in the picture - but I am pretty certain it is in 4hi.
Turn off the ignition and the lights are off and the 4hi is disengaged.
Has anyone else had this happen, and is there a DIY fix?
Thanks, George
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Type - I meant to say its in 2-hi, then shifts itself into 4-hi.
My 96 K3500 has been acting like it is doing just that.
I just thought; "nah, why would it do that?"
I was told that my torque converter may be locking up on me and it's not really going into 4wd. I'm no mechanic, so I don't have a clue.
It really eats up the gas lately.
-Tim
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is likely happening is the the front axle disconnect is engaging not the Tcase itself. The boise that can be heard is from the axle spinning up.though there is no power on it otherwise. Check the switxch on the linkage that engages front axle disconnect. BTW, the indicator light is driven by front axle disconnect not Tcase. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com