Trunk opens by itself?

Friends of mine often find their trunk open when they come back to car is that usual?

Reply to
F Murtz

Elantra.

Reply to
F Murtz

Does not sound usual. Most cars do not do that. Could be due to a lot of things. They will have to narrow it down. Take the batteries out of the remotes to start with.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Often happens when you have the remote in your pocket. I've done it when I'd stoop down and the remote would be press against me more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This happens a lot with my 2008 Sonata, when I keep the fob in my pocket, but only when I am close enough. Any bending, or carrying things will cause the button to be pressed.

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

I will also say this happens to me when my FOB is in my pocket and I am working around the house.

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

I learned to put my keys on a shelf near the door about 4 cars ago. No mor open truncks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I often pop my trunk inadvertently when my key fob is in my pocket. It is easy to hit the release accidentally, at least compared to other cars I have owned, the Hyundai is the one one that does this.

Reply to
Voyager

I should have read the other replies before I replied. Looks like many of us have the inadvertent release problem with the fob in pocket. I now try to now put it in my pocket until I am well away from the car. Not sure why Hyundai is so susceptible to this as none of my Chrysler's or Chevy's have ever had this problem nor my BMW motorcycle. Only my Sonata...

Reply to
Voyager

It happened all the time when I had my 07 Elantra, of course....there was no ghost.....it was just the remote getting pushed in my pocket.

Reply to
jtees4

I learned no keep them out of my pocket on a Buick. That is not the reason I don't buy GM crap any more though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Never had a problem with my Chevy truck, my Equinox or my daughter's Cruze. Only the Sonata.

Funny, my GM vehicles have held up better than my Sonata. Had to have a rust hole fixed two years ago (it is a 2006 Sonata) and will need extensive body repair this year or next to pass PA inspection. I have never had a Chevy that wouldn't easily go 10 years without need for rust repair. The Sonata likely won't pass inspection after 12 years whereas my Chevy truck went 20 years... YMMV, but my GM vehicles have outlasted everything else from a body perspective, and the body rust is the killer in PA.

Reply to
Voyager

Because this happened a few times and once I had the trunk open all night, I replaced my trunk light with an LED bulb. So at least if it happens again, I won't wake up to a dead battery.

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

My Regal had a rusted out gas tank and other body rust after 8 years. LeSabre had rusted out brake lines.

Regal had numerous rear brake problems took four tries to find the leak in the AC system (evap coil leaked) body panel misalignment, gauges did not work, water pump, etc.

LeSabre needed a new transmission, wheel bearings, brake lines, climate control did not work properly, assorted dash lights out, power windows on two od the doors went down and never went up. (I propped them in place with a wood stick_

Every problem listed (and more) were out of the GM warranty period but would have been inside of the Hyundai warranty. Exception was the Regal AC that stated in the warranty period but was out when finally repaired but was covered because it was their negligence that it was not found. I found it for them.

I would have liked the GM cars had they not fallen apart.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have not owned a Buick, but my Chevy vehicles have been just the opposite of what you describe. What you describe is closer to my Sonata. Rear brake disks rust out every two to three years. Had to have rust on the rear wheel well repaired two years ago and need extensive body rust repair again this year.

Reply to
Voyager

My key fob would lock my doors automatically. Unfortunately, it wasn't supposed to do that. I just got a new fob. If he has another fob he should try using that one. If this only happens with one fob, replace the fob. You can buy one on eBay for under $20.

Reply to
dsi1

I have read in some forums that this is a common issue with Hyundai Elantra.

Reply to
bravetony

It happens--along with triggering the alrarm--all the time with my Genesis. My new sonata has higher raised dividers on the key fob and it happens less often--but it still happens. I'm about to put a plastic lid on both since, in reality, you don't need the key with the door button(s). Cheers. JFR

Reply to
J. Fred Riley

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Dealer wrote: We have a 2015 that opens randomly at our dealership. Key is hanging up, not being touched at all.

Reply to
Dealer

The trunk button on my key fob hasn't worked in years but I still have this problem. Any ideas?

Reply to
Windrunner786