97 Silverado

hey all, i just bought a '97 Silverado with all options 2WD, locking rear, ext. cab, etc. 250, 300 miles. any common problems with this year?

Look at the report in consumer reports, 98 probably the same.

-
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:46:45 -0500, "runningonfumes79"

Pretty solid truck basically. GM has had problems with intake manifold gasket leak antifreeze to back of engine block (not internally) otherwise no real issues.

Just my experience: My 98 Burb had the intake manifold gasket done and the heater hose coupling before I bought it. When I bought it it was leaking around the heater core bypass valve. My mechanic has the same truck and suggested I replace the Dexcool with older green coolant (he has).
Not trying to restart a Dexcool debate, I just suggest that you research the issue yourself. If you choose to do it (I did), do a pretty thorough flush of the system.
Just my experience.
Jeff