'97 Silverado coolant loss

To the guy who posted an answer to my post about losing coolant, who said the gasket between the block and the intake manifold was the culprit and which had to be replaced periodically:

I have also "learned" that differential movement (caused by heat-up/cool-down cycles) between the manifold and the block causes abrading or wearing of the gasket, which in turn, leads to leaks. In your experience, are there some gasket brands that resist this abrasion or which are immune to it? Also, are there any special steps during replacement of the manifold gasket to prolong its life, say until the engine needs a rebuild?

Reply to
George Del Monte

Use Fel-Pro gaskets, make sure the mating surfaces are SURGICALLY clean before you reassemble, and make sure to torque all bolts in the correct sequence to the correct tightness, and use a dab of loc-tite (blue formula) on the threads.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I would suggest that you get a GM gasket. They have recently released an updated version of the Vortec intake gasket for both the v-6 and v-8. Here is a picture of the two gaskets, old one is the lower one, upper one is the new version. If you can find an aftermarket gasket that has the re-inforcements in the gaskets, then I suppose you could use it. If not, just buy the GM one, and make sure you are getting the new version.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thank you, thank you. Now, of course, I've got to get up the courage to replace the gasket and do a good job of it. I'm too cheap (spelled frugal) to take my pickup to my local Chevy dealer. I have doubts they would do the job any better than the factory did back in '96 or '97

Thanks again.

Reply to
George Del Monte

Thanks to you, too. Seems as though the GM could be as good as the Fel-Pro gasket Doc recommended in the other post to my question. Doc, what are your views on the GM gasket?

Reply to
George Del Monte

No, the GM gasket will be "better" then the Fel-Pro gasket if the Fel-pro gasket does not have the updated gasket out yet. It will be up to you to go check out a Fel-pro gasket and see if it has been improved. With all due respect to Doc, he's probably not aware of the changes that have been made to the Vortec intake gaskets as it just happened recently.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

This gasket failure has nothing to do with "installation." It has every thing to do with a "shitty" product. There are many repairs that we techs have to make, knowing full well that it will fail. We do not engineer the things, and in most cases, our hands are tied as far as trying to improve the repair. Especially under warranty circumstances.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

OK, Ian, you've convinced me about the GM gasket. I've got the opinion that GM can, if they want, to build as good a product as anybody else, the only reason they have shitty products is because of the old mind-set of the "Big Three", WE are the only game in town and "WE'LL sell you what we want to sell you because, well, where else are you going to go? The Japanese have eaten our lunch in quality and GM and Ford still don't get it. Sorry about the soap box spouting, but GM and Ford have got to change their obsolete mind-sets.

Reply to
George Del Monte

I hear you George. Fortunately, GM's lousy quality works in my favour, at least in the short term. Mind you, they have had lousy quality since I started working as a GM tech over 20 years ago, and I still am busy every day. I believe that GM has relinquished control of some of their key components (front diffs come to mind) and the quality control has gone way down hill. It's all about the all mighty buck. Don't worry, everything is going to be made in China real soon. Then everything will be good, eh? Lots of jobs for Americans and good quality parts......right!? Not!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Lucky they can't ship 'em to China for repairs, I guess I'd call it "job security" for us. Bob

Reply to
Bob

True, hopefully they don't ship cheap labour over here to fix the cars. Highly doubtful, as no matter what most people think, it's not that easy to fix cars "and" make a living while doing it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

In my opinion (for what its worth) the gasket change is symptomatic relief from the real problem. If your truck was outfitted originally with DEXCOOL (orange) 100,000 mile antifreeze, and later mixed with another (green) coolant, the results have historically been catastrophic.......do a search on the internet for GM cooling system problems and Dexcool coolant......you may be surprised. My two cents........Butch

Reply to
Butch