98 Chevy Suburban Oil Cooler Line question

1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 4x4 454 engine (gas)
My suburban has a coolant leak at the upper oil cooler line fitting going into the radiator. There is a stamped tin nut that holds the fitting and
leak appears to be coming from around this nut.
What is the correct tool for tightening this nut ? I have tried pliers but I'm afraid its just going to bend the thing up.
Thanks

As most others would say there is a crack in the plastic end housing of the radiator, thats why its leaking.
You will find tighting the nut does little to cure the leak. A new radiator is the only option. Might as well get new oil cooler lines too.
Cheers
message

As a temp fix (and I do mean a Temp fix) you can try to put some JB Weld around it and let it set up. This should stop the leak for a little while, allowing you to get the new rad.
Yeah - I suspected that might be the issue.
Thanks for the help.

If you're talking about the actual steel oil cooler line itself as in where it threads into the rad... They have tiny o rings around a recess in the fitting that end up dry rotting, etc. which causes leaking. I would use antiseize on the nut with a new o ring or some silicone high temp/gasket maker stuff. As for the correct tool to tighten this, it's a flare nut wrench or careful use of vice grips. You shouldn't have to turn it too hard if the o ring is in good shape. If the leak is actually between the metal flange and the plastic, you're beat and the rad needs to come out.
I hope this helps as I have had both the rad leak from the plastic itself which led to a new rad AND I have also had the leaking oil cooler line fixed with a new o ring. Get the ring o ring from the dealer as there are two kinds and nothing else seems to fit 'perfectly'.
Thanks, Andrew.
On 12/2/07 12:50 AM, in article 475247b7$0$8638$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com,

Martin - you were correct. I found a crack in the plastic tank - just next to the upper oil cooler fitting. Its a shame to have to replace the entire radiator when really just one of the tanks is leaking. I looked at having a radiator shop replace the tank but decided it wasn't worth the risk of having another problem later. So, I'm in the process of putting a new radiator in.
Thanks for your help.