Engine oil cooler line replacement?

Hello folks,

I got a 2001 Concorde with the 3.2 engine. It's got an engine oil cooler in it and the supply line that connects the cooler (upper radiator) to the control valve is leaking. Is this a hard thing to replace myself? Would it be wise for me to use an old line off of a used car? The new line is very expensive from Chrysler dealers!

Any other comments or pointers on this is greatly appreciated Thank you.

Reply to
Lisa

Possibly the transmission fluid (not engine oil) cooler line? I've not replaced one on your model/year, but did so on an older LH body since it too was leaking. I bought the part at the dealer and the part was about $50. Installation was not too difficult. I figured any old part would likely be prone to the same issue. In addition, $50 just wasn't worth the effort of pulling it at a salvage yard.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I think Bob may be right about it being the transmission cooler line. They have screw clamps on those lines - usually it's a matter of tightening the clamps back up rather than a hole in the line. (I own two

2nd gen. Concordes.)

That would cost $zero.

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thanks Bob.

It is actually engine oil cooler lines. The transmission cooler lines or on the other side (left side of the radiator), the engine cooler line or on the right side of the radiator. I was at the dealer yesterday and they said it was engine oil and I said the same thing you said but they explained that some of these Concorde models came with an optional engine oil cooler. BTW, the wanted $480 to replace the 2 lines, I can't tell you what I said but you'd probably figure that out yourself.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Lisa

Bill, thank you too.

As I explained to Bob, I have the optional engine oil cooler in my car and these are engine oil lines.

Reply to
Lisa

Where and how is it leaking? If this is a steel tube (which it really should be) and there is a crack or some such in the tubing itself, then take the tube off and take it to a radiator shop and have them braise the crack or hole.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The lines you are referring to have to be replaced if they are leaking, They can not be fixed. When they leak, it is normally severe. I wouldn't pay more the 2.0hrs to have them installed

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Max,

I ordered the line yesterday, I am going to give it a shot myself..I think it is a straight forward replacement. Thanks.

Reply to
Lisa

Ted,

This line is part steel, part rubber and it is leaking right at the joint between the steel and rubber part, I don't think it could be fixed. It has to be replaced as Maxpower suggested. Thanks.

Reply to
Lisa

Glen

Do these lines appear on any other 2001 Chrysler vehicles? Like maybe my 2001 LHS?

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob, if you gave me the last 8 of your vin # I could tell you if your vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn

1H580394

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Glenn

1H580394

Thanks Bob

Bob, It does not specify. If you did have it, you would see both lines running down the passenger side radiator. One line will go to the passenger side oil pan and the other to the oil filter adapter.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Ugh, what a stupid design. Running pressurized, hot engine oil through a flexible rubber line is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough doing it with power steering fluid but if a PS line bursts, your steering just gets more difficult. If this line bursts, unless you shut your engine down immediately, you spin a bearing.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You're connecting from an engine, that of course moves around a little, to a rigid chassis-mounted cooler. Would there be fatigue problems with metal lines, even corrugated ones of affordable materials?

Bill Putney

Correct answer would be to use braided stainless steel covered lines (like race cars use). Unfortunately, the companies are run by the bean counters, not the engineers...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

All of the old Ford cars that ran a C-4 used steel lines to connect the trans cooler to the trans, no flex line involved. In any case, since this oil cooler is an add-on option, the expense should not be an issue since the customer has to pay extra for it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You're obviously not an MBA! :)

Bill Putney

Heh.

Keep in mind that when the automakers cheapen down the add-on accessories, word gets out and people stop buying them. Of course, the temptation is great for the MBA's to find some way to cheapen down the design and in the past a lot of automakers have given in to temptation (Ford with it's disintegrating plastic intake manifolds, for example) but while they often get away with it on the required parts of the vehicle, more times than not when they do it to the accessories it burns them. For example the auto aftermarket radio industry wouldn't exist if automakers hadn't cut corners on car radios, and the radio is a very high margin and profitable accessory for an automaker.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt