98 GMC JIMMY

Hi Gentleman your advise to my heating problems was good. Thanks.."Doc" and "Ian" Now it seems the 4x4 is not working. When I press the button on the dash I here something clicking in underneath but as I steer hard left or right on dry pavement it feels the same as in 2wheel hi. Shouldn't there be some rough tire vibration or skipping as I turn slowly? Also there is a plug(switch) broken off that screws into the actuator on the front diff . I've purchased a new one at the Dealer( switch: $ 30.00) but haven't got around to installing it. Could I be so lucky that this is all it could be ? Is there other things I should know about or look for?

P.S. A GM mechanic told me that in changing diff oil if the fill plug doesn't come out due to corrosion, they drain the diff fluid , take it apart, then throw in zip-lock bags full of Diff fluid in and close it all up. He says eventually the plastic zip-lock bag disintegrates. Has anyone ever heard of this method?

Reply to
Sam

You are welcome.

The switch on the front diff on your vehicle is simply a feedback switch that tells the 4x4 module that the differential has achieved engagement. When you say that you are getting clicking sounds,does the mode light change (does it switch from the 2hi light to the 4hi light). If not, try this: Use a jumper wire and jump terminal 13 on the DLC connector under the dash...to ground (with ignition off). Then turn on the ignition and observe the 4x4 dash switch lights...they should begin to blink out codes. It's similar to way the old engine codes were read, if you have say....code 2...the light will blink twice and then pause, then blink twice again...and keep repeating this until the jumper wire is removed. I'm going to guess that you will find code 2 in the system. This is an indicator that something is wrong with the encoder motor and/or wiring to it.

Now what you do, is......turn off the ignition, remove the 10 amp CTSY LP fuse (open the drivers door, you will see the fuse panel, left side of the dash, facing the door) and leave it out for 2-3 minutes. Re-install the fuse, turn the ignition key to the run position and then off, 5 times. This will clear a code that is automatically set when you remove the fuse. Now attempt to perform a 4x4 shift. If it works now, you need a new encoder motor. If it still doesn't work, check for the codes again (jumper wire) and if code 2 is still there, the problem is most likely still the encoder motor, but it's a "hard" code. At this point, you can do the wiring checks before heading off to buy a new encoder motor. My experience has been that it's almost "always" the encoder motor.

Oh yeah....put that broken switch in before you do any of the above.

I've heard of it, but this strikes me as real chicken-shit mechanics. We run into this problem and we always manage to get the fill plug out and put a new one in. That's what drills, air chisels...whatever you need to get it out...are for.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Once again you are providing very intelligent and sound advice, Ian. I just wanted you to know that the light on the dash does light up when changeing over from 2hi to 4hi , everything on the inside seems to work as the manual says it's supposed to work. I'm just wondering if to procede as per your instructions on encoder motor? Sam

Reply to
Sam

No...if you are getting a solid 4hi light, it means the encoder motor has performed it's shift (so the t/case is now in the 4hi range) and it has seen a signal from the front diff that it has been actuated.

So let's review. As far as you can tell, it is shifting into 4hi, but the front wheels are not engaged? Or are you saying that you followed my instructions, pulled the fuse, cleared the code, and now everything works fine? I'm not quite sure what you actually did.

If you did follow my instructions and cleared the code and now it works fine....you can do one of two things, replace the encoder motor....or just drive it and see if it screws up again. It all depends on whether you are willing to risk having no 4hi at a most inopportune moment

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian, I haven't done anything as per your instructions yet. The on dash push button has lit up when going from 2hi to 4hi as well as the clicking sounds underneath can be heard during this transition. however, I'm almost positive the front wheels aren't getting any power because when turning hard left or right on dry pavement shouldn't the front tires skip or vibrate? Sam

Reply to
Sam

Yes, you should feel the vehicle "crow hop". Maybe you need to jack up the vehicle (all four wheels) and actually verify whether you are getting power to the front axle. Probably best to do this before we get involved in all sorts of diagnostics that have nothing to do with whatever the real problem is.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ok Ian I brought the truck to the dealer and when they attempted to install that switch onto the black plastic triangular part attached to the side of the diff , we discovered that (as they call it ) actuator rod through the diff was busted . I seen it as the tech opened it up . I also made them run the truck in 4hi while on the hoist just in case something would work but nothing. So the final bill is around $700.00 ----The part is $112.00 and the rest is labor, they tell me the entire diff has to be taken apart. After all this I brought the truck to an independent tranny shop but they are going to quote me a price tomorrow What's your take Ian?

Reply to
Sam

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Usually when there problems with the shift mechanism on the front differential, it's possible to just take the extension tube off on the right side...you don't have to actually take the whole diff out. But because I can't see what's damaged....I'm not going to second guess the tech who did see it.

If the diff has to come out, it's pricey. These are not fun units to remove.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai