99 suburban won't start, help!!!

hi everyone I have 99 suburban. 2 wheel drive, 5.7L. gas,140,000 miles. never had problem with it. changed oil every 3000 miles. here is the story. I stop by a store about 10 min. when i came out car won't start. only hear clicking sound. i checked cable, battery, everything was fine. put new battery, new alternator, new starter nothing works. tested old starter with jump cable and in working order. so i put old starter back and car started. drive it home and restart few times and it work perfectly. second day morning same thing happened again. only hear 1 clicking sound but engine won't crank at all. checked cable and battery, changed spark plug and nothing help. tried hand crank the engine and it is not turning. very hard to turn it with wranch. really don't know what happened to it. is my engine gone? can someone please help?

by the way, no water or oil on spark plug when 8 of them removed. also tried jump start and no luck.

thanks

Reply to
zd1000

Sounds to me like you should look at the battery cables, make sure you have good connections, grounds and that the cables are good.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

I suspect it is in the starter itself as they can act just like this when they start to good bad.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

He said that he put a new starter on and it didn't start, placed the old one back on and it started? Sounds like the cables were moved around and made contact again. ???

Brian

Reply to
diablo

first would like thank you for your help. I brought the old starter to auto part store and test it. it is working. have no idea what is happening. I checked around no loose cable and battery cable is fine.

thanks

Reply to
dealNsteal

Reply to
George

When the starter soleniod gets flakey it can work one minute and then not the next. I read it as he never replaced the starter and if so, he needs to replace it at this stage.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

hi Tested the starter at autozone. was told starter in good shape. check all cables and they are fine. I did everything that i know but nothing help. asked few auto shop and no one can tell me what happened. I would like thank you all for your help and time. any other advise would be great.

thanks John

Reply to
zd1000

Like I said, change the starter, it can test good on the bench and still be bad bolted in. I have a bad solendiond on a old JD tractor, sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it starts fine after several tries. When it stops starting co,pletely, I will change it. (since I only used a few time a month it is not a big deal) I have seen this problem before and if you have checked all the cables, the onlything left is the starter itself.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

You say you checked all the cables. How did you check them? Did you check the voltage going to the starter? What was the cranking voltage at the starter? Did you remove, clean and check the negative cable. No ground, no start. The cables may be fine, the connections might appear to be fine, but if you don't check the voltage drop, and if it is to much, it won't start. 10 or 11 volts ain't enough to start an engine, thus the clicking sound.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Bad connection in the Positive cables, you have the double reds and they are notorious for bad contact & corrosion at the battery.

Reply to
Repairman

hi problem fixed. it is bad connection in the positive cables. car start right away after cut open the double red rubber and clean it with sandpaper.

thank you very much for all your help.

Repairman wrote:

Reply to
zd1000

hi problem fixed. it is bad connection in the positive cables. car start right away after cut open the double red rubber and clean it with sandpaper.

thank you very much for all your help.

Repairman wrote:

Reply to
zd1000

Good deal as it had to be cables or starter itself.

SnoMan

No they are not. Change the damned cables and everything will be fine.

Reply to
mkirsch1