89 Suburban 350 won't start

My 89 Suburban / w fuel injected 350 gasoline engine was running fine until it refused to start last Sunday. Didn't do anything but turn it off in my driveway. After about 2 hours went to run an errand and it won't start.Ran the battery down trying so I bought a new one.Took air cleaner off and tried starting fluid and it still doesn't want to run.Don't have any testers so can't tell if it is ignition. Help Help please. John B

Reply to
John Bowen

Check for fire first and the ignition control module in the distributor are known to fail without warning sometimes and would be the first place I looked if there is not fire . BTW, I have a 89 4x4 burb that I have had since new that has 173K on it now and still looks and runs great.

Reply to
SnoMan

Pull the coil wire off the distributor, stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire, hold it near metal and have someone crank the engine over. If no spark, module is a good place to start, then again the pick up coils go bad as well, and the magnets that trip the coil into producing a current that cause the module to fire the coil crack and cause no start problems too.. If it has spark, put the coil wire back on the distributor and pull a spark plug wire off a plug, again the screw driver in the end of the wire and hold it near metal, someone crank the engine. If no spark change the rotor in the distributor.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I had an '86 Silverado that did the same thing. It ran fine when I pulled it around to my shop. I tried to start it again and *nothing* all it would do was turn over. Well, after some head scratching, I took the dist. cap off and what did I see? The rotorbug in about a hundred small pieces... that's what! I never could figure out why the rotor would EXPLODE like it did, but I changed it,(along with all other ignition parts) and it ran just fine (as far as the ignition timing) and then about a month later, a colorblind idiot pulls out in front of me and TOTALS my poor truck.

ZZZ

Reply to
zzz

Many many thanks to y'all. I will try all of these things this week end and let you know what happens.

Reply to
John Bowen

Reply to
John Bowen