CV Boot-Quick Boot Style

The 2 piece boots are great if you dont want to take the half shaft out. Some claim the glue used will not seperate (didnt know they used glue). However, the CV joint may be contaminated with dirt and eventually fail. Its of little effort to remove the half shaft and clean the CV joint and install a one piece boot.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Has anyone had any luck and/or problems using a split-type CV boot?

Reply to
John Manner

Speaking of that, what is the best method to clean the joint?

Some claim the glue used

be contaminated with dirt

clean the CV joint and

Reply to
John Manner

As quick as it is to get a joint out, don't even mess with a split boot. Heck, you can buy a complete half-shaft assembly for about $80, I believe. Buy two boots and your more than half way there - because you don't ever just replace one boot at a time. While you have the thing out, do them both.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

. CV Boot-Quick Boot Style From: snipped-for-privacy@wowway.com (John=A0Manner)

Has anyone had any luck and/or problems using a split-type CV boot?

. John, Yes I have had both. After great debate on every occasion, and under customer insistance, I have installed the split-boots. I give NO GAURANTEE of performance of durability. I feel the split-boot is a "stop gap" measure at best. A fair alternative for a financially concerned do-it-yerselfer, but not as sound and reliable a repair as dissasembling the joint for a thorough cleaning, inspection, and one-piece boot replacement. As far as your follow up question in this thread as to the proceedure for cleaning a joint, you first have to comit to pulling the shaft out, an essential for a good inspection of the cage and bearings for wear. You could use a couple

2 or 3 cans of spray carb cleaner to do the cleaning in the vehical. But repacking the joint sufficiently would be a bit testing. Entirely do-able, but messy and not fun at all.

Permission to comment on the first two replies to your post?

Thank you.

As far as the ease with removing the axle in order to clean the joint and use a one-piece replacement boot....you didn't state what type of vehical you were working on or which axle, or "axles" , are involved.

The ease of removing and reinstalling the drivers side axle on a Ford Escort can be debatable.

oh.......you posted in a Chev 4x4 forum.

Perhaps we should discuss the ease of removing the axle on a Chev 4x4, by a novice technician who may possibly not have the tools to do it with.

any whooooo............. If your finances can take the hit... do a complete r&r of the shaft for inspection and a solid repair. You never know what the cage and bearings may look like once you get them apart.

If you decide to go with the split-boot...don't clean the joint if the old boots condition didn't allow any contaminates in.

let us know... Scribb Abel

in a pinch......a wet booger that is allowed to dry for a period of time.......makes a great adheasive

Reply to
Scrib Abel

CV Boot-Quick Boot Style

From: snipped-for-privacy@wowway.com (John Manner)

[...]

Wayne Jones

Ah yes, pass the buck on and send another one here for help and expense. I just love the morals of our world today. We have educated them well haven't we?

Hatt

proceedure

Reply to
DJ Hatt

"DJ Hatt" wrote

So...what's particularly immoral about installing a split boot and then selling the vehicle? It's the responsibility of the buyer to check a vehicle over before buying it. In my mind, it would be the responsibility of the owner to reply truthfully to questions asked about the vehicle.

If the customer asks, "does the vehicle have any 'split' boots installed" and the seller says no....then that would be immoral. But I don't believe that seller is under any obligation to go into detail about what might be wrong with the vehicle, and/or what kind of repairs have been done. A split boot repair is simply a cheap repair.

"Buyer beware"

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai
.

(giving an opinion on installing a split-boot on a cv-joint.....and selling the vehical) "DJ Hatt" wrote

Ah yes, pass the buck on and send another one here for help and expense.

I just love the morals of our world today. We have educated them well haven't we? =============== (which prompted this reply)

Sat, Sep 20, 2003, 1:09am (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) spit back.......

So...what's particularly immoral about installing a split boot and then selling the vehicle? It's the responsibility of the buyer to check a vehicle over before buying it. In my mind, it would be the responsibility of the owner to reply truthfully to questions asked about the vehicle. If the customer asks, "does the vehicle have any 'split' boots installed" and the seller says no....then that would be immoral. But I don't believe that seller is under any obligation to go into detail about what might be wrong with the vehicle, and/or what kind of repairs have been done. A split boot repair is simply a cheap repair. "Buyer beware"

Ian ...........................

Ian, I wonder what he reccomends doing to your house before you resale it?

Upgrading the electrical? Plumbling? New roof? Maybe a nice vinyl siding job?

Coveat Emptor.......... and long live Auto Zone ignition modules....

Scrib Abel

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

you don't work at autozone do you?

Hatt

Reply to
Hatt

~~

(giving an opinion on installing a split-boot on a cv-joint.....and selling the vehical)

"DJ Hatt" wrote

Ah yes, pass the buck on and send another one here for help and expense. =A0=A0=A0=A0I just love the morals of our world today. We have educated them well haven't we? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (which prompted this reply)

=A0=A0=A0=A0Sat, Sep 20, 2003, 1:09am (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) spit back.......

So...what's particularly immoral about installing a split boot and then selling the vehicle? It's the responsibility of the buyer to check a vehicle over before buying it. In my mind, it would be the responsibility of the owner to reply truthfully to questions asked about the vehicle.

If the customer asks, "does the vehicle have any 'split' boots installed" and the seller says no....then that would be immoral. But I don't believe that seller is under any obligation to go into detail about what might be wrong with the vehicle, and/or what kind of repairs have been done. A split boot repair is simply a cheap repair. "Buyer beware"

Ian .......................... Ian, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I wonder what he reccomends doing to your house before you resale it?

Upgrading the electrical? Plumbling? New roof? Maybe a nice vinyl siding job?

Coveat Emptor.......... and long live Auto Zone ignition modules....

Scrib Abel utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool............. the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through............... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (and here we have DJ bringing this 2 week old thread back to life ....to ask ole Scrib this....)

Oct 7, 2003, 2:50am From: snipped-for-privacy@lycosNOSPAM.com (Hatt)

you don't work at autozone do you? Hatt

sarcasism......used in a humorous format to drive home the topic of discussion.

Scrib Abell ~:~ really didn't won't to contribute to bringing this dead thread back to life......but he's not one to ignore a question....for any reason..~:~

- -

0 0 L O
Reply to
Scribb Abell