1999 Cobra Mustang: CV Boot torn

During my last oil change the guys at the shop told me that my CV Boot was torn on the left (driver) rear wheel. I've called the dealerships here in Dallas and they've all told me that you can't just replace the CV Boot, you have to get the whole axel shaft, which will cost almost $400.

I don't know the first thing about all of this and I was hoping someone might have some advice on a cheaper way to repair this or a better alternative than going to the dealership.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot! Jeff

jlowryATtambcdDOTedu

Reply to
Nephilim

It's how shops make more money. If dirt hasn't entered the boot and ruined the CV, then it will be fine to just clean it, repack it with grease and put a new boot on. I am sure there would be a source for the boot.

Reply to
Brent P

Well, you would think that would be the case, but evidently Ford hasn't released the CV Boot as a single part for the 99 Cobra, and the dealership is telling me that they have to service the whole axel. The only other option I've found is a $16 Speedi-boot thing that bolts around the CV Joint, but it doesn't look like a great option.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Nephilim

This is the sort of thing Ford does that drives me (I'm a tech) up the wall. The inability to get just a minor component (be it boot or blend door) instead of the whole assembly has sent a number of cars down the road to a minor shop that can jury rig something. Not a good thing for a flat rate tech - I only get paid when I fix something.

On the flip side, if it is a warranty repair you get a bunch of new parts you didn't need for free.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf

Tell me about. Back in March, the blend door drive socket cracked on my E150 conversion van. $170 for the blend door AND the assembly it fit into

*AND* the assembly the blend door assembly fit into. Since I was not about to remove a perfectly good heater core to put it all in, I popped the new blend door out, installed that, and tossed the rest. What a waste!
Reply to
John