Dead 99 Suburban

We took the kids trick or treating yesterday and when we returned to the Suburban to leave, I turned the key and it was totally dead. Not even a clicking sound. I suspect the starter but wanted some opinions. The
battery has been dead 3 times in the last couple of months. Once we left a power inverter on charging a laptop, once left the radio on (kids) and once 2 reading lights (kids again). I charged it overnight each time and it appears that the battery has plenty of power by looking at the battery meter. Does it sound like the starter? or something else?
oh, trick-or-treating? You got a treat! Maybe while you were out a demon slithered up into it.
If not, then maybe check all the cables paying close attention to the grounds. Check voltage on the battery just for the heck of it - usually the batt. will give you some "warning, though before it goes
Snowman .

once
What should the voltage be? Is anything above 12V considered OK? What should the low side be?
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

left
. . . Master Shredder, you got a volt meter?
Check for roughly 11-12 volts with all acessories off.
Then turn on everything....and check to see if it's dropping fast and far.
Then have one of them goblins of yours try to start it while you look at the meter and see if it's dropping fast and far.... Usually on a doorknob dead battery the voltage will plunge imediately to well below 9 volts.....even as far as 0, while being load tested.
if alls well......try to jumper the starter and see if it's even capable of "kicking over". It's a bit of a maneuver....but it's doable.
That's bout the best you can do at the house without some fancy equipment.
Have you tried using the battery out the ole lady's car??
........ CHECKS FOR SHORTS AND AMP DRAW
If you get it running .....check battery voltage with it running and make sure the initial startup charging voltage is around 14 volts... then cut on all the acessories and make sure the altenator is doing it's job. You should see around 13 to 13.8 volts at the battery terminals with the engine running.
To check for amperage draw, run a meter in series with the battery negative cable.
All accessories off....there should be no amp draw showing.....sorta,kinda. Anything above about .5 will indicate a short somewhere.
scrib ~:~
========= =========. snipped-for-privacy@shred.com (TrailShredder)
What should the voltage be? Is anything above 12V considered OK? What should the low side be? ====== ====== "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message
oh, trick-or-treating? You got a treat! Maybe while you were out a demon slithered up into it.
If not, then maybe check all the cables paying close attention to the grounds. Check voltage on the battery just for the heck of it - usually the batt. will give you some "warning, though before it goes
Snowman
good shootin', Scrib!
Snowman
in message
oh, trick-or-treating? You got a treat! Maybe while you were out a demon slithered up into it.
If not, then maybe check all the cables paying close attention to the grounds. Check voltage on the battery just for the heck of it - usually the batt. will give you some "warning, though before it goes
Snowman
P.S.- A battery can take about 2 rundowns before it's charging capacity is very small and it will no longer recover fully. This is generally because of "sulfating". Pull the caps, top off the water, and put it on a long cycle charging.
You might get lucky.
Sam