Dead 99 Suburban Update

Still Dead! I ruled out the Battery. I cleaned the terminals at the battery and at the starter. Still nothing.
Now, here is the weird thing. After I cleaned the terminal on the hot wire
to the starter and the wire lug on the starter, there is a little hook like tab on the wire that appears to sort of lock the wire in place on the starter. This little hook was bent enough to evidently short out on something. Once I went to put the wire back on the battery post, the starter turned the engine over. I thought for sure I had solved the problem. I took the wire back off the starter and bent the hook back down and thought for sure it would work. Put the cable back on the battery post, turned the key and still dead .... doesn't make a bit of noise.
BTW My Voltage never dropped below 11.3V with fans on, headlights and trying to crank it. I swapped Batteries with my truck though to rule it out.
. . . Master Shredder, you got a volt meter?
Check for roughly 11-12 volts with all acessories off.
Then turn on everything....and check to see if it's dropping fast and far.
Then have one of them goblins of yours try to start it while you look at the meter and see if it's dropping fast and far.... Usually on a doorknob dead battery the voltage will plunge imediately to well below 9 volts.....even as far as 0, while being load tested.
if alls well......try to jumper the starter and see if it's even capable of "kicking over". It's a bit of a maneuver....but it's doable.
Did you take the ground cable off your block and thoroughly clean it? Cleaning the post on the starter may have allowed a little more current to get through, but if the ground is still nor making good contact, then you're not getting ahead.
That little tab is to keep the cable from turning around over time and shorting across the other terminal, causing the truck to start without the key in the ignition.
I would not totally rule out the starter, but if that was the problem, I'd be very very surprised. Clean the ground cable first.
Snowman

wire
like
post,
. . . check for battery voltage at the small terminal on the starter with the key in the start position.
battery voltage present means..... you need a starter assembly..... A solenoid will fix it though.
(just depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend)
.... If hooking the battery cable up made the starter turn the motor over untill you unhooked it..... then the starter motor is good....the solenoid is'nt cycling.
if you don't get the voltage reading at the terminal as stated.....do a repost and we'll talk you through the ignition feed diagnosis... but I think your next post will be IT"S FIXED!!
marshmonster ~thinks you went the hardway to scribs advise~ ===== ===== Dead 99 Suburban Update Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Oct 30, 2003, 8:32am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@shred.com (TrailShredder) Still Dead! I ruled out the Battery. I cleaned the terminals at the battery and at the starter. Still nothing.
[...]
scrib ===== =====
This is just my .02 worth but if by shorting the wire at the starter caused the starter to turn the engine over doesn't that mean that the solenoid is working when power is applied to the proper terminal? If the wire was shorted to the motor terminal on the solenoid wouldn't the motor just turn with out engaging the starter drive therefore not turning the engine over
My guess is check for power on the small wire at the starter while someone turns the key to the start position power here and no start =, starter/solenoid problems, no power here and I'd check the park/neutral switch and from there the ignition switch

wire
like
post,
. . .
. Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Oct 31, 2003, 2:32am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (99)
This is just my .02 worth but if by shorting the wire, at the starter, caused the starter to turn the engine over,...... doesn't that mean that the solenoid is working when power is applied to the proper terminal?
If the wire was shorted to the motor terminal on the solenoid, wouldn't the motor just turn with out engaging the starter drive therefore not turning the engine over?? My guess is check for power on the small wire at the starter while someone turns the key to the start position power here and no start =, starter/solenoid problems,
no power here and I'd check the park/neutral switch and from there the ignition switch
======= ======= wish i had thought of that.

marshmonster ====== ======
Took the starter off and had it tested today. It turned over but they said it was pulling 170 amps and that it needed replaced. Will put it in this weekend and post an update Monday.

wire
like
post,